PDA

View Full Version : Ladder Admin New Year Resolutions

ProPain
05-01-2004, 14:48
After our humble start on CFC a year ago, we have come a long way.

At first Mel and I had to manually adjust our own posts on cfc. Things improved a lot when we moved to CDZ and we could access each others posts. Still it remained quite cumbersome to manually maintain all running and finished matches. So the most dramatic improvement we had last year was the database Digger developed for us. [goodjob]Thanks again to Digger, I don't think we would have a ladder today without your database!

So a lot of things changed for the better but there's still some room for improvement. My maintenance hasn't been on a day to day basis last year and here's where I want to change things so the ladder will be accurate on a day to day basis. Also I'd like to improve the accesability of the database and the design of the pages.

To start things of I added new search and mail features to the ladder database today and slightly improved the graphics. Just look around and you'll see you have more options now.

I'll be adding the possibility to enter your own running games next. This will however mean you will all get a password to prevent funny people who're passing buy to fill up our database with 'new' challenges. You'll be hearing more of this soon. Next step will be automated finished game entry.

That leaves the graphics. It's quite obvious that my graphical design skills leave a lot to be desired. So if someone has suggestions or can offer some help here it would be much appreciated.

That's it, happy new year and civ on in 2004!

ProPain

anarres
05-01-2004, 15:04
I really like the finished games table now, thanks PP! [coool]

ProPain
05-01-2004, 15:07
A personal note for Killer.

I had to adjust your name in the database because the -'- interfere with the SQL queries resulting in errors for your name. If you want it different than it is now, just let me know providing you don't reintroduce -'- or -"-

Sorry about this.

PP

anarres
05-01-2004, 15:12
Can you change my name to 'anarres' please? ;)

ProPain
05-01-2004, 15:18
quote:Originally posted by anarres

Can you change my name to 'anarres' please? ;)

And so it is done

Skyfish
05-01-2004, 15:22
I actually like the design and looks of the pages [goodjob] PP
It is not "in line" with the rest of the Forum but that could be easily changed by going back to a white background I would say...

digger760
05-01-2004, 16:38
Wow, looks good, glad to see my effort was worth it.

Allowing people to update the ladder is a dangerous thing though. If the database gets corrupted it could be awkward to recover. I think you might need a few admin features to keep an eye on things such as:

1 a weekly report of new challenges & updates,

2 possibly add admin checking feature, i was thinking something like a temporary tables for new challenges, challenge updates, removing void games, removing or adding players. All players can add or update temporart tables. The ladder admin by means of an online form can review these temporory tables and by means of a tick box add them to the real ladder or delete them if it is spam. This would add a layer of protection to the database, but most of the work is done by the players.

The second option would take a bit of effort to implement, but is less admin work in the end the first option would require less implementation but more effort on a continued basis.

let me know if you need any more help on it

Regards

Digger760

anarres
05-01-2004, 17:40
I think only ladder admins will be able to change it digger....