PDA

View Full Version : And yet another bug!

Kingreno
14-12-2003, 11:56
And one that has some usefulnes as well[sad]...

If AI troops enter your territory in sufficient numbers you can ask them to "remove or declare war". Nothing wrong so far. If they declare war, well, you have war.
If they leave, they leave. Now say they leave. close the diploscreen with that civ and re-contact that civ. Now you can AGAIN ask them to remove or declare war, even when their forces have left your territory after the last meeting.
Now what is the point? Every time you state the "leave or war demand" the AI gets a little more angry with you, to the point where they actually declare war. So If you repeat the proces, every incursion in your territory can lead to the AI declaring war on you. This in turn can be useful for the obvious reasons like warhappiness, reputationhits and cheap techs due to Gpt.[:o]

I have no idea if this was in PTW as well, but my guess is no, since I never noticed it before.

ProPain
14-12-2003, 12:32
Not quite sure, but iirc you could ask the comp to leave your territory when there were no troops but then it would say something like:'We have no troops in your territory'

Kingreno
17-12-2003, 19:37
Lets play a game: Find the bug. A free beer for the person who finds it first!:)

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Kingreno/20031217193635_luxslider.jpg
90.5KB

anarres
17-12-2003, 20:36
You mean 10% tax getting one commerce and 20% lux getting none? [:o]

There are known roundign bugs when the corruption slider (in the editor) is set to anything other than 100%. Rise of Rome is the only scenario with it, so what's going on here? [scratch]

Skyfish
17-12-2003, 20:51
Shit ! thats a bad one ... Sometimes I get this in PTW but if you move the lux slider up and down the game recalculates and shows the right screen, isnt it so ?

Kingreno
17-12-2003, 21:20
Anarres recieves the beer![cool]

But seriously, this is a very bad bug. This is an untweaked random map [sad].

Plux
17-12-2003, 21:39
Shouldn't you also get three lux in the center tile? Or is the third wasted because of despotic penalty?

Kingreno
17-12-2003, 21:53
quote:Originally posted by Plux

Shouldn't you also get three lux in the center tile? Or is the third wasted because of despotic penalty?

I am still an English despot here plux.

ProPain
17-12-2003, 22:16
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

Shit ! thats a bad one ... Sometimes I get this in PTW but if you move the lux slider up and down the game recalculates and shows the right screen, isnt it so ?

I'm not quite sure if it's all ok in ptw. I've had two instances where I moved my lux slider after pop growth from 1 to 2 and got a happy face on 10%. Still civil disorder a turn later.

This only happened to me when growing from 1 to 2 and with 10/20%. Cant post it though. 1 was a SP game that I trashed, other one is a running pbem.

Lt. Killer M
18-12-2003, 09:27
I also have had very weird rounding errors, like 10% science and 10% lux give me less happiness than 10% science and no lux tax if I have 2 luxuries connected....

or, hogher tax rate = lower income!!!!

Grille
18-12-2003, 19:45
Catt suggested on CFC that commerce assigned to tax is always calculated lastly -or: what's left over, goes to tax. IMO the suggestion is quite reasonable, makes at least also sense for Kingreno's pic:

Newcastle has 2 uncorrupted commerce units:
70% go to science -> rounded down to 1 as shown in the pic
20% go to entertainment -> rounded down to 0 as shown in the pic, but that 1 left over commerce unit would not be wasted due to rounding, it goes to tax, i.e. 1 gold.

Not too logical, but apparently the game calculates this way. So the shown tax percentage (e.g 10%) doesn't mean anything (also, there is no tax slider). It's not really a bug, but some weird annoying stuff - and 'interstage' rounding before commerce multipliers do their job can often produce strange results as well.

Imagine a market (+50%) in that city, you *should* then get even 2 tax gold out of the "10%" rating. That looks weird in comparison to science, because science gets 70% from slider settings and ends up with only 1 beaker.

Well, it's a micro-managing hell... the optimal commerce output would be reached if you'd always meet the 'round up' condition; the really wasted commerce is not only determined by capital distance (etc...), but also by slider settings. I wonder how courthouses, policestations and policemen kick in...

As for the editor corruption slider: I *suspect* that there are two corruption/waste calculations made, if the the slider does not stay on 100%. Both calculations are possibly rounded indepently and then summed up. I guess one calc is for the 100%-default waste/corr portion (slider was patch-added IIRC) and the other portion gets either added (slider above 100) or substracted (below 100). With this assumption, it is at least very easy to explain the 'more shields from working tiles - less production capacity' situation in Rise of Rome.

Obviously, Firaxis loves rounding and is afraid of non-integer numbers :( - sparing memory (for non-integer variables) may have been a reason(?).

smalltalk
18-12-2003, 20:03
quote:Originally posted by Grille
Obviously, Firaxis loves rounding and is afraid of non-integer numbers :( - sparing memory (for non-integer variables) may have been a reason(?).
I guess, it's rather a matter of execution time. Calculation with real numbers takes much longer.

Grille
18-12-2003, 20:19
Ah yes, that makes sense as well.

digger760
18-12-2003, 21:13
EDIT: opps posted in wrong thread