PDA

View Full Version : Sirp vs Skyfish --- Game Discussion Thread -----

Skyfish
13-12-2003, 09:01
After a break from Civ to concentrate on creating his own game (he will tell us more on that) Sirp has acquired C3C and very kindly accepted to try a PBEM against me :)
Thanks a lot Sirp [thumbsup]

Since Sirp is a veteran RBCiv player and the tactics we use in PBEMs are quite far from RBCiv rules this is a thread to discuss the choice of rules we will set for our game but also the map and civs. Since we are waiting for the BETA patch to start, we have a bit of time on our hands ;)

So let me start :
You can read here my spoilers Sirp. AS you can see the tactics are [hmm]... pretty extreme.
The idea in PBEMs is that you are playing vs another Human so disqualifying some exploitative tactics because they the AI can not use them is not quite valid. It makes for quite a different kind of game [devil]
This choice has 2 disadvantage :
- The AIs get pretty much run over and sometimes are used as pets. This is NOT the case all the time though !
- It can turn out in a contest where the player knowing the most exploits or beign the most used to them has a strong advantage.

One important remark is that any exploit based on a bug, or usage of a bug is forbidden of course.

What are your thoughts on this ?

anarres
13-12-2003, 13:41
It might be an idea for you to list some allowed and disallowed "exploitative" tactics...

Skyfish
13-12-2003, 14:07
Yes I am gathering the list right now...gimme some extra time ;)

Sirp
13-12-2003, 15:15
Skyfish,

We have played succession games with each other before. Why not just keep it simple: anything that would have been considered acceptable in the succession games we played is allowed, anything that wouldn't have been, isn't?

If you would like, we can add this rule: Workers cannot be merged into cities greater than size 6.

If you would like to add any other specific rules that are required to clarify rules on bugs/exploits found recently, that's fine. Otherwise I think that we can have a "gentleman's agreement" to play with honor, and avoid using exploitation.

Just one question: are multiplayer games normally played with Accelerated Production on or off?

-Sirp.

Skyfish
13-12-2003, 17:07
Off !

It will be a first for me to play along RBCiv rules in a PBEM but I welcome the change and look forward to it.
I will still try to publish a non-exhaustive list for the lurkers.

Now have you thought about preferred map conditions and civs ?

I have never played an archipelago map on a PBEM and would maybe like to try it...

Sirp
14-12-2003, 04:48
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

Now have you thought about preferred map conditions and civs ?

I have never played an archipelago map on a PBEM and would maybe like to try it...

Sure, we can try an archipelago :)

I would like it so that if someone is going to look over the map for us to make sure it's "fair", that they do not make sure we both start on different islands or far away from each other. I prefer to play the whole time not knowing when I'm going to bump into you: it could be next turn, or it could be another 2000 years.

-Sirp.

Skyfish
14-12-2003, 10:56
We can get the map exactly like we want it, no problem [thumbsup]

I understand and agree with your request, lets keep the factor surprise alive :)

Skyfish
17-12-2003, 16:54
Sirp !
Any preference on Civs and size of map ?
Let me suggest a Large map, with 8 AIs , 70% land, warm, wet, old world. Just to keep the conversation going...am totally open so please tell me what you want !
I find C3C plays at least a level higher with no min science, early maps, or mass upgrade available, and with the added difficulty of RB rules I would rather play an Emperor level game.

anarres
17-12-2003, 19:12
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

...with 8 AIs ...[groucho]

Sirp
19-12-2003, 01:51
It plays a level higher AND they have new difficulty levels? I see!

I have no experience with C3C, so you will probably have a significant advantage!

I would prefer to play a 'normal' sized map with 6 AIs, if that's okay with you. 70%/wet/warm/old sounds good to me.

What's the story with this patch?

-Sirp.

Skyfish
19-12-2003, 11:18
Let me reassure you I also have very limited experience with C3C, I play in 4 SGs and thats's it. I only played one test game until 1000bc and thats it... The bugs just make it a no-starter !
For the map no problem.

Allegedly the beta-patch is due out tomorrow :)
So stay tuned ;)

Skyfish
31-12-2003, 08:11
Sirp !

The patch is out and it resolves quite a lot of bad bugs. Only the use of the FP is still tricky...
Rumours have it that there will be again a new beta patch out on Jan 10 to redesign the FP to be like it was in PTW.
Do you want to wait until then ? I believe we will be able to patch our game while playing it though so no real need...

Sirp
07-01-2004, 21:54
Great to hear the patch is out :)

I am happy to play now, or to wait. However do note that I am going away on a 'vacation' Jan 12, and won't be back until the end of Jan.

-Sirp.

Skyfish
07-01-2004, 22:12
Well I was going to say : Lets rock and roll !
But we just learned today there might be yet *another* beta patch coming out later today :(
However this patch seems better to me as it stays in line with the way the FP was in PTW
(the current patch overhauls everything which makes it harder for us that cant play the game extensively...)

So you going on holiday soon could be a blessing as it can help decidding which patch to use *and* give soemone time
to make us a good map...

Skyfish
10-01-2004, 16:44
Sirp,
The latest "news from the front" is that there will be a new beta-patch very soon (out Tuesday or Wednesday)
with an official patch at the end of Feb.
There is still major debate as to what solution will be introduced regarding corrution calculations and the role of the Forbidden Palace, even for that beta due on Tuesday [:l]
lets wait for it to be out and then make the map request so that its all ready when ou come back from summer holiday :D

Sirp
10-01-2004, 20:59
Okay, well I guess we will wait until I get back from my vacation, and then we can see what the best patch is to play with!

-Sirp.

Skyfish
15-01-2004, 14:03
Beta 1.15 is out, its a radical change compared to previous versions but I believe it would be a good fit for our game, it makes the reliability on a Great Leader to rush the FP much less important.
I will post the Map Request.