PDA

View Full Version : Eldakkar vs Plux ***SPOILER***

Plux
07-12-2003, 15:52
Just started our game. At first my starting position looked quite ok, but at this point I'm thinking that I might be alone on a island. This means that my initial tech choice was a bad one, as I need to get to MM asap. I didn't go for pottery first, because I thought Babylon didn't need a granary that much, and I might get it throught trading. Next turns will show how bad a choice it really was.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Plux/2003127154659_empire18.jpg
98.47KB

PS: Next turn already shows a tiny passage towards southern lands, so I hope I'm still following the right strategy :)

anarres
07-12-2003, 16:08
If this is in Conquests you can build carracks to meet new civs. If it's PTW I'd consider changing tech...

Plux
07-12-2003, 16:19
I'm indeed on an island, and it's PTW so no carracks :(. The new plan is switching tech to Alphabet @ min, and hope for pottery from the hut, otherwise research it later @ max. Moreover I will build my next city between the hut and the wines (on the grass), jump my palace and build a ring of 4/4,5 around the new capitol. This will be getting interesting [groucho]

anarres
07-12-2003, 17:10
Well, one thing worth considering is disbanding your warriors and spear before you pop it, that way you can't get barbs.

If you also research pottery now at max you can pop the hut just after, which will reduce the number of techs it has to choose from, increasing the chance of Alphabet.

Plux
07-12-2003, 20:16
Anarres, didn't you know that when you pop a tech from a hut, you ALWAYS get the cheapest tech that you aren't researching at that moment? So Alphabet won't be an option until I've researched all other first level techs. If I pop it now, and would be so lucky to get a tech, I'm 100% sure it will be pottery.

anarres
07-12-2003, 20:36
Hmm, I didn't know that! [ponder]

Melifluous
07-12-2003, 21:01
quote:Originally posted by anarres

Hmm, I didn't know that! [ponder]

Please tell me you are joking!

Man I thought you were a great player!

I'm so dissapointed.

Melifluous

anarres
07-12-2003, 21:20
Since I play Deity it is almost unheard of for me to get techs from huts. I almost never play as expansionist and I'm not over-keen on barbs...

Skyfish
16-12-2003, 14:01
quote:Anarres, didn't you know that when you pop a tech from a hut, you ALWAYS get the cheapest tech that you aren't researching at that moment? So Alphabet won't be an option until I've researched all other first level techs. If I pop it now, and would be so lucky to get a tech, I'm 100% sure it will be pottery.

I was shocked when I read this Plux since I also did not know this...I was more than suspicious actually, may I ask you where you learned this rule ?

Today I was lucky enough to pop a tech from a hut in a PBEM and guess what?..it sure was not the cheapest tech available to me :D
For spoiler reason I can not post more details but I'll be happy to inform (almsot)any of you individually with more details if needed (i.e : the Save file ;)).

I am sure you believe me so just to make it clear : you do NOT always pop the cheapest tech available to you when you get a tech from a popped hut !

Sorry for the correction but I believe its an important detail ;)

ProPain
16-12-2003, 16:52
you finally got a tech in the titan game! About time [lol]

Skyfish
16-12-2003, 19:26
Then you should say you dont believe me and ask me to send you the save :D

Plux
23-12-2003, 20:25
Seeing the new C3C-patch and the current map, Eldakkar and I just decided to give this an early quit. The final state of affairs:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Plux/20031223202418_endmap.jpg
134.88KB

In my stubborness I didn't want to waste the twenty or more turns spent on IW, so I'm still busy researching Alfabeth now. Commercial Eldakkar tells me he is already going for MM [eek]. Looking pretty bleak for me :D

Eldakkar
23-12-2003, 20:26
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/eldakkar/2003122320243_pluxeind.jpg
95.04KB

This is at turn 61. We decided to quit and start a new game with conquests, now that the new patch is there. Things were uneventful up until now. It will be another 23 turns before I get to mapmaking.

Skyfish
23-12-2003, 21:19
Eldakkar looked in a rather strong position to me :)