PDA

View Full Version : ERIKK vs Beam - SPOILER THREAD

Beam
02-12-2003, 23:51
First PBEM ever, so we'll see where it goes. Sky produced us a map with raging barbs and he got the smart idea of putting in the worst type of Civ neighbourhood you can imagine.

We are in turn 21 right now and the Iroqs have met with the Zulu, Persians and Romans in that order, I guess ERIKK should have met at least with either Mao, Lizzy (btw does anyone remember Thin Lizzy?) or Brennus right now. And he is complaining like hell about the barbs.

Beam lead the Iroqs to the Wheel a turn ago and found a greedy bunch of customers for it and got Alphabet, Masonry, Bronze Working and a toilet in return plus change. No one seems to have a fucking clue about Iron.

Area for the first core looks good with a healthy area and three obtainbable luxes and the much needed horse. 2nd core will need some more exploration by the brave Iroq scouts. Hut result mainly average with some small change and a friendly warrior.

For advances I plan to get HBR asap for a number of reasons and hope to trade that of. By that time I should be pretty close to ERIKK's location with my scouts and know his whereabouts.

Breda will produce its 1st settler in 3t, by that time I can check if I need a granary there or go for the nxt one.

Main targets in random order for the coming 10-15 turns:
- Expand
- Find a decent area for the 2nd core
- Techtrade
- Learn to MM, being a lazy Shift-A player
- Meet everyone and give ERIKK a hard time [evil]

I'll post some maps later.

Beam
03-12-2003, 21:24
Just build my 2nd city, here are some pics. Nothing spectacular, ivory connected nxt to Bavel, now connecting hourse SW of Breda.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2003123202554_mapt25.jpg
147.72KB

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2003123202622_worldt25.jpg
4.76KB

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2003123203024_opponents.jpg
25.77KB

Kingreno
03-12-2003, 21:38
Nice lands beam. You might want to cut down the gameforrest and irrigate that, Breda will be a 4-turn-setler factory!
btw Bavel? lol. What is next? etten-Leur?[cool]

anarres
03-12-2003, 21:41
I see moo cows! [groucho]

You seem to have a lot of expansion space...

Beam
03-12-2003, 21:44
Next will be Teteringen, forest nxt to the cows NE. Etten-Leur will be to the west! Thanks for the gameforest tip.

@anarres, yep this is a rural area :)

Found all civs except for ERIKK, who has met only 1 or 2. Sky had something in mind when he created this map.

Skyfish
04-12-2003, 19:16
quote:Sky had something in mind when he created this map.

I can assure you not, you got scouts and he dont, thats all...He probably also only built 1 or 2 warriors for exploration.

Beam
04-12-2003, 20:33
Don't worry, I like it!

btw, just found ERIKK and established an embassy.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2003124203058_babembassy.jpg
167.83KB

He is far behind in techs, even missing Myst. and AB, so the plan to go for poly (15t) hopefully will work.

I guess he is just going for city expansion right now.

Plux
04-12-2003, 20:59
I see you are located below the rivers. When can we expect the first Carnaval party?? ;). Oh, and could you please found Gilze-Rijen, that's where my granny use to live :D

Beam
04-12-2003, 22:38
quote:Originally posted by Plux

I see you are located below the rivers. When can we expect the first Carnaval party?? ;). Oh, and could you please found Gilze-Rijen, that's where my granny use to live :D

Hehe,

Gilze or Rijen will be build NE of Chaam which is build near the silks.

We could organize a Carnaval party here, everyone dresses as their fav King. Imagine Killer as Lizzy LOL

Beam
05-12-2003, 13:16
Updates by turn now until something major happens.

Pre-turn 61: All of the above + Shaka being tech lead for a short while. Getting me into an alliance vs. Persia was worth Math and change. Since Shaka is my buffer to Persia I accepted. Let them kill each other while I prepare to kill them.

Turn 61: Most of ERIKK's area is explored now. He is one city ahead but still way back in tech. In 4 turns the Iroqs will have both a new settler and Poly. And the settler factory is up and running. The only area Erikk can freely expand to prob. is the W, haven't seen that part yet. Celts are alreay building close to his bottleneck. He has a not yet connected Iron so he is prob. prebuilding W for S.

62: ERIKK has build Uruk at the bottleneck

66: First big PBEM learning experience. Erikk closed the tech gap because I had not given Philo to two puny Civs. I am only one tech ahead now.

79: Disc. Lit., shall I trade with Lizzy who has MM and CoL? Don't need the map or galleys cause I know most of the map. Connected 2nd lux and want to keep a roman archer of my terrain cause no one has been in my area yet.

97: I like the fast pace of the game, almost 100 turns in a few days and we are going to beat that. Erikk decided to leverage on his Sci trait and is in MA now. We both have Rel. as trait and my Exp. does not add any value anymore. I have not traded my map yet so Erikk only knows the Iroq cap. and prob. its borders. I will soon change gov., trigger GA and gain some terr. Schedule of this depends bas. if I can get rep. excl.

Beam
07-12-2003, 21:29
104: Declared war to Zulu, took Ulundi. GA triggered, Rep, in the pocket, wines close as 4th lux. Erikk has a warrior nearby but has to declare war to enter Iroq terr. Feels good!

105: Ulundi went quiet in 1 turn, stack is moving to Zimbabwe now. Erikk still is near with his warrior. Gov. change will be after the Zulu war.

Beam
08-12-2003, 15:49
111: Erikk captured Entremont and has the GL now, with that he got Rep (Lizzy had it as well) and traded it to everyone who has techs I don't have. He can easily develop bottom tech line now, has sci, so will have libs faster then me. He will still have the upper techs because of AI. I prob. best follow the bottom line, Erikk will be ahead of me but it means shorter dev turns.

Feels not that good anymore, but it is only over when it is over.

Alternatives: capture Entremont, but is quite far away and close to Erikk's core and most likely a lot of Swordies around.

Beam
08-12-2003, 21:35
120: 4 more GA turns to go, well in Rep and building temples and libs. Iroqs are on par with the AI on tech, Babs are prob. one ahead.

Erik is dealing with Caesar now meaning he will share borders soon. Means back to MW soon.

121: See the Open Thread for the erikk's joke on pillaging my connection to wines. Was a little pissed at first but the "Evil Zulu" thing with bullshitting Bab authorities is to good to start a war. Iroqs are happy without the wines as well and can't trade them yet. An alternative road will be finished soon. Main concern is the core of Bab forces.

Jerxes just got Pyramids, a very interesting gem [crazyeye]

ProPain
09-12-2003, 00:59
Could you post a pic? I'd love to see the Iroquois West Brabant :D

When I saw your map I immediately suspected Oosterhout or maybe Raamsdonkveer, would near the cows, but you choose Teteringen, interesting choice.

I would also like to request Ulicoten to the south, I think KR will back me up on this request.

now more serious: Erik is doing +6 food, strange. Why didnt he mine the cow or wheat?

Beam
09-12-2003, 08:01
quote:Originally posted by ProPain
Could you post a pic? I'd love to see the Iroquois West Brabant :D

That's what Erik would love as well, he does not know that part of the map. Maybe later.

quote:When I saw your map I immediately suspected Oosterhout or maybe Raamsdonkveer, would near the cows, but you choose Teteringen, interesting choice.

I would also like to request Ulicoten to the south, I think KR will back me up on this request.

Be sure i'll find a place for Ulicoten. Will be hard to find a geo-correct location because Tilburg is build on the bottleneck.

quote:now more serious: Erik is doing +6 food, strange. Why didnt he mine the cow or wheat?

Sky more or less insisted he did not mine the cow :) Or it is because of futile Bab attempts to MM. Erik told me yesterday he had the governor switched back on.

ProPain
09-12-2003, 09:12
COnsidering Ulicoten will be probably be located at the coast it will not be entirely geographically correct anyway! [lol]

@sky: why did you insist on Erik not mining the cow?

Skyfish
09-12-2003, 09:31
[lol] OK the cow comment in the open thread is a long running joke between me and Erikk, it did not take into account the fact there was a wheat on grassland.
Of course as soon as I saw he had both irrgated I told him to immediately mine one of them ! ;)
To my great despair though, he still does not understand what I mean, its a long uphill struggle to try to teach him some MM basics :(
Hoep you dont mind Beam :D

By the way Beam dont be scared Erikk does NOT read somebody else's spoiler ! I can guarantee you that, I have surprise attacked him in our game and had the whole plan laid out in the Spoiler, if he had read it, I would have noticed and he might not have lost the game. All players here are honest and its better to trust everyone you wont be disappointed :)

Beam
09-12-2003, 10:19
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

[lol] OK the cow comment in the open thread is a long running joke between me and Erikk, it did not take into account the fact there was a wheat on grassland.
Of course as soon as I saw he had both irrgated I told him to immediately mine one of them ! ;)
To my great despair though, he still does not understand what I mean, its a long uphill struggle to try to teach him some MM basics :(
Hoep you dont mind Beam :D

Not at all, this is a fun learning exercise for me as well [book]

quote:By the way Beam dont be scared Erikk does NOT read somebody else's spoiler ! I can guarantee you that, I have surprise attacked him in our game and had the whole plan laid out in the Spoiler, if he had read it, I would have noticed and he might not have lost the game. All players here are honest and its better to trust everyone you wont be disappointed :)

Roger that, my comment was just intended to express Erik's surprise when he traded maps and only saw a big black hole in the NE :D Expect some West-Brabant geography this evening.

Skyfish
09-12-2003, 12:14
On the cow comment, please check this http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1128
;)

Beam
09-12-2003, 20:33
The eagerly awaited map of West-Brabant! A good place to come an have a beer if u cum in peace. To the east is another former Zulu city and there are 2 spots left on my subcon. But the Zulu terr. will be colonized first to move towards Babylon and for my fifth and sixth lux.

The wanky Bab warrior is SE of Ishl.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2003129203431_westbrabantt123.jpg
305.4KB

ProPain
09-12-2003, 22:17
Love this map, I lived in Made (next to Drimmelen) and Breda for a few years. Swingue will be happy too, he's from Zundert. Now you should tweak civ so WLTKD will be we WLT Bloemencorso Day in Zundert.

And how are the other game stats. Techs, mfg gds, land area and so?

Beam
09-12-2003, 23:24
quote:Originally posted by ProPain

Love this map, I lived in Made (next to Drimmelen) and Breda for a few years. Swingue will be happy too, he's from Zundert. Now you should tweak civ so WLTKD will be we WLT Bloemencorso Day in Zundert.

And how are the other game stats. Techs, mfg gds, land area and so?

There is a slot left for Made PP! The icy tile N of Easterwood would be a nice tribute to Gianni Romme as well. But has competition of Den Hout, Raamsdonk and Geertruidenberg. Where did you live in Breda btw? My capital is in the IJpelaar.

Game stats: mainly 2nd behind Erik, his Great Lib helps him a lot but I am about to connect my 5th lux and am considering to go for the 6th. That should give a nice Bloemencorso in Zundert! [party][band] For Techs I am picking the ones available to the other civs, cheapest and generally moving to Edu. Building MW's now, hope to have Chiv before Erik gets his act together. Learning a lot this very first PBEM.

The workerbuild in Zundert has been replaced with a unit now, 17 turns waiting while waisting 17 shields does not make sense.

ProPain
10-12-2003, 10:49
I used to live on Bothastraat, just south of Ignatius hospital (now called differently iirc) just south of claudius prinsen and just east of De La Reijweg.

Plux
10-12-2003, 11:14
I still miss 'Mountains on the Edge' in this city list. Or should I have translated 'Mountains on the Hem'? (had to get a dictionary for that one, of course ;))

ProPain
10-12-2003, 11:17
@plux, iirc hemlines where a point of dicussion surrounding Ally McBeal. Makes it easy to remember.

Beam
10-12-2003, 22:31
quote:Originally posted by Plux

I still miss 'Mountains on the Edge' in this city list. Or should I have translated 'Mountains on the Hem'? (had to get a dictionary for that one, of course ;))

Hehe, for Mountains on the Edge I would need two islands (or a big one) to the West, one for Rosesvalley and one for Mountains on the Edge. Then the people of Saint Willebrord, Hoeven, Old-Gastel and Fineart would start demanding their puny villages included as well. While I already have probs with the people of Ulvenwood, Den Wood, Windowsdonkferry, Lower-Swallow, Upper-Swallow, Hague of the Prince, Stonemountains and Mothersdyke.

The MW stack is growing, a delegation moving to Rome's most western settlement. An ideal outpost for ERIKK awacs and the Pyramids in Persepolis.

Skyfish
11-12-2003, 09:05
lets see a minimap please :)

Beam
11-12-2003, 21:15
Here is the minimap in turn 137. Erik has just a little more cities and has 2 Roman cities to go. Iroqs took Ravenna and have their outpost. 24 MW available now and building more. Just got Mono and none of the AI have Chiv, Babs most likely have it since the dev turns are rel. low. A delegation of MW's is moving to Persepolis now and the initial border area between me an Erikk is along Ravenna - Persepolis. Iroqs have open terrain in their backs while Erikks is jungle (seen from resp. border perspective). There is one pitfall if Erik comes marching in with Knights before I have Chiv.

Lizzy has Theo and I will go there after Chiv and upgrades in order to kill the GL. On par with Mao and Caesar is a miserable weakling now. Jerxes will join him soon.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/20031211211457_minimap137.jpg
13.7*KB

Turn 138: Jerxes sneaks the Babs and they are at war now. Adviced Erik to wait for a flip but he did not buy in and took it back by force. Anyway, I guess Jerxes will be moving forces to Bab territory now, he will start to build units as well. About the right time for Persepolis I reckon. Persia for some reason did not connect to the 2 Iron tiles they are close to so resistance hopefully is futile. Stupid AI. The Iroqs will have to fight some Persian resistance, the main issue is how the Bab - Iroq border will develop.

Sidenote: Iroqs are building peacefully in the cities the Babs can see (afaik) and MW's in most other [evil]

Beam
16-12-2003, 23:50
Warrior, you risk good riddance!

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/2003121623508_timetoleave.jpg
18.67KB

Skyfish
17-12-2003, 09:53
What a dumb place to be parking a warrior [rolleyes]
Take good care of him dude [mgun]

Beam
17-12-2003, 21:32
Turn 147 now: Persepolis with Pyramids is in the pocket, for the time being at least. Jerxes showed up with 2 Archers who both have their own little piece of heaven now. More Persian cities will be targeted soon. Got a surplus of MW's, no way that they stand and wait for an upgrade to Knight. Chiv. in 1 turn., 15 MW's in the field, 27 MW's in cities waiting upgrade, road to Persepolis under construction. Need to be fast to have a chance against the Babs, I guess since I can't spare a dime on Intel.

Turn 149: Situation in almost-former-Persia is stable and Hiawatha is planning how to take the rest. Arbela is almost finished and Pasargadae is in reach from Persepolis. Disc. of Chiv. confirmed that the Babs already had it, even more, they developed it themselves. So Erikk has a plan in mind.

Strat. he has no AI foes to worry about and I have both Mao and Lizzy to stay friends with, just wonder if they will ever offer a free drink. A leader to create an FP would be a gift from whoever one believes in, otoh Chiv. upgrades go 1/turn and build-up continues.

Minimap:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/20031217222939_minimap149.jpg
13.57KB

And near future battlefield:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Beam/20031217223034_nearfuturebattlefield149.jpg
298.76KB

Beam
27-12-2003, 21:02
Some updates, we are in turn 175 now and playing. We are in a kind of Cold War right now. The Iroqs are still 2nd in most cats but have the strongest army, culture and highest income per capita. This is after the Babs mass upped to Knights and Muskets. The Iroqs got a leader and build an FP in a new city half-way Tyre and Ravenna. Iroqs have over 40 Knights and are building muskets now. Battlefield terrain is difficult with little open space and lots of jungle. It is almost sure that there is a lot of ocean between Bab and Iroq territory so an invasion overseas will have to wait.

Skyfish
27-12-2003, 21:57
Well surely Navigation is not that far !!
Watch out it can go real quick :)

Beam
27-12-2003, 22:08
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

Well surely Navigation is not that far !!
Watch out it can go real quick :)

Yep, therefore scouting the coast ;)