PDA

View Full Version : Dr Alimentado vs Skyfish *****SPOILER*****

Skyfish
28-11-2003, 12:55
This is a grudge match that started on MSM when I defended Shabbaman against the incessant bashing of DrAlimentado [crazyeye]

The winner will choose either the Signature or Avatar of the loser for 2 weeks! [:o)]

Here is the extract from the Map Request posted by DrA :

DrA: the mighty aztecs
SF: the despicable zulu

emporer level
tiny pangea
max land
roaming barbs
random everything else, except...

SKYFISH says:
dont want cold dry 3 billion
no jungle starts

Dr Alimentado says:
ok... well "something nice" but random ok?

Skyfish
28-11-2003, 13:08
Sorry for the lack of updates so far, the game started very casually and keeps a on and off pace , we are making good progress though !

As I said the game was a "bit on the side" but it soon became apparent that I had a mjor opportunity for a little coup :D
My lands are protected by an ishtmus, being expansionist I immediately saw thsi and decided to take full advantage.
Also it is a tiny map with both of us at the end of a Pangea [devil]...

Here is the neck o' land in question :

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/skyfish/2003113022439_DrA-950BC-LandNeck.jpg

Because of this situation and the fact that I never sold my Map to anyone and that Dr A missed Map Making until a few turns ago, here is what Dr A is seeing from his side :
(Reconstruction)

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/skyfish/2003113022456_DrA-950BC-Minimap.jpg

When we set up the game Dr A was adamant the Jag Warrior is a much more powerful UU than the Impi, just for the sake of it I argued the opposite, also I was just coming out of great win in an Always War Empeoror game with the Zulus on a random map [lol]
So we chose Aztec v Zulus to settle the debate, first two main remarks :
- Aztecs are great but your tactic when you play with them is gonna be pretty obvious !
- Impis are great to either pillage AIs to death or ...combined with Horsemen in teams of 2 !

Having seen the lay of the land, the strategy was thus simple :
1- build tons of Impis
2- build tons of Chariots to upgrade at the last moment to Horsemen.
3- build as many galleys as possible (dont need tons of them...)
4- go visit Dr A while *he* is Jag Rushing the AI, hopefully far away from his core :D

The AIs are very weak (Emperor), I ran a few gambles (which are much easier with only 3 opponents), save money, went for West coast sites to whip galleys.
I've invested everything I have in this plan up to now but I have been tech leader almost all the way (settler from my 1st hut btw) and I know Dr A is doing the same by building only rax and Jags.

Here is the situation once my military was sort of ready but more importantly once Dr A started pounding the AI with his rush :

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/skyfish/2003113022357_DrA-950BC-F3.jpg

Here is the Diplo situation in 950BC, ss you can see I allied with Persia (we have no restrictions on MA) for money and techs when he attacked them...and for the fun of it [mwaha]

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/skyfish/2003113022412_DrA-950BC-F4.jpg

Now here are my plans, remember that Dr A is in the dark and has no idea I am so close . He ony got MapMaking 3 or 4 turns ago so even with a galley prebuild he is far from knowing my whole coastline :

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/skyfish/20031130222848_DrA-950BC-Invasion.jpg

The red tile is only 3 tiles away from my coast, it's the only hill and it is half way between his core cities and Persia where most of his Jags are ( at least I hope...)
I intend to separate my forces in 2 with one group going to raze the core cities North while the other cutting off the route the Jags will take to come back from Persia to defend the mother country.
I will have 5 galleys and I will transport 20 troops : 10 impis and 10 horses so 2 trips (for the first wave). I really hope he does not have wandering Jags near teh coast or a settler pair going there as I want to hit him with all 20 troops at once.

Finally here is a pix of my lands in 950BC, the time when all those pix were taken. I am not ready yet for the big invasion but soon enough [evil]

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/skyfish/2003113022333_DrA-950BC.jpg

Skyfish
30-11-2003, 22:43
We have played a few turns now and the Invasion has started proper.

Dr Alimentado still has no clue about what is going to strike him in 1 or 2 turns [lol]

Notice that I am just 2 turns from Republic as well, purely coincidental but still great timing, I will have a few turns of Anarchy in Golden Age and the rest in Republic. Dr A is himself in Despot GA right now.

The calm before the storm :

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/skyfish/20031130224148_AttackFirst Wave.JPG

anarres
30-11-2003, 22:51
So he can see you now? [groucho]

Plux
30-11-2003, 22:57
This game looks soon to be over :). Great strat, sky!

ERIKK
30-11-2003, 23:00
Wow Sky, you really ARE evil!!! [evil]

... sending poor DrA to the Persians while sneaking yourself through the back door... [shabba]

Skyfish
30-11-2003, 23:19
Yes he can see me now, even though black is a great camouflage colour :D

However we should not forget that he is in Golden Age, his capital can probably churn 1 Jag a turn
and that my Impi/Horses *can't* retreat from his stupid little Jaguars so it s far from being in the bag [groucho]

ProPain
01-12-2003, 00:00
even when he's not in GA he'll probably can build a jag a turn in his cap when he uses a forest. So he might be building spears not to waste shields if he's in GA

Skyfish
01-12-2003, 09:43
We are still in the expansion phase though and its a food poor map, his capital has been going from size 7 to size 5 every 4 or 5 turns for a long time ;)

Kemal
02-12-2003, 15:24
And, did the attack go as planned? Or did you have some bad combat rolls against his jags, after all horses aren't that powerful, even against warriors...

Skyfish
02-12-2003, 15:34
He has not yet even opened the save :)
Could last a while sorry for the inconvenience ;)

Horses not powerful against warriors ? [lol]
You justlove teasing me dont you ? :D

Skyfish
13-12-2003, 08:00
Finally yesterday Dr A came online and we could play the turn ! [jump]

His first reaction on MSM : "Sky I think you might have won that one..."
Then I teased him and went "Hu...why?" and threw in some other nasty arrogant comments for good measure to finally end by sayin "Sorry but this is a grudge match remember ? ;) "

He only reacted by saying that "he never said the Impis were a shit unit but that they cost twice more than the Jags".. OK :)

I was crossing my fingers for a resignation but of course he sent the turn back after a while. I am not disappointed I am quite happy to actually have a full blown battle with another human with the issue uncertain...I only had it once with Erikk and the issue was from uncertain [devil2]

I asked for a battle report to which he answered "Many Jags shit themselves but no attacks" [eek]

more info soon

Aggie
13-12-2003, 08:12
Superb playing Sky [hammer]

EDIT: Map knowledge is going to be even more crucial in C3C [eek]

Skyfish
13-12-2003, 08:42
After looking at my core and MMing around (Republic is due in 1 turn !) I turn my attention to my invasion force in Aztecia.

Here is the situation after sending some scouts (that lone horse still has 1 mov point).

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/skyfish/2003121382042_First battle.jpg

I thought long and hard about going on that hill and then waiting to go for Alimentadocity but Dr A again gave me valuable information on the chat. He said he wanted to abandon Elephantcity to regroup but was blocked by rivers. If I waited he would certainly regroup all his forces in his capital...I had to take out Elephantcity.

This is how it went (all horses are Vets) :
Horse beats fortified Jag, down to 1 HP
Horse beats fortified Jag, down to 2 HP
Horse loses to fortified Jag, down to 2 HP but promotes to Elite !
Horse beats fortified Jag, no HP lost and promotes to Elite.
Horse beats fortified Jag, down to 1 HP
Horse beats fortified Reg Jag, no HP lost.
Horse beats fortified Reg Jag, 1 HP lost.
Horse beats fortified Elite Jag, 2 HP lost and promotes to Elite.
Elephantcity razed.

7 jags dead to 1 Horse but lots of wounded units...

Post battle situation :
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/skyfish/2003121383024_First battleAfter.jpg

I did not expect so many Jags [sad] by the time my horses heal he will have most his forces back from Persia...I am not going to win this game on this visit [aargh]
[cry]

So what do you guys think ? Can I go after Alimentadocity with only 3 or 4 horses ro should I wait they all heal up ?
[dunno]

Aggie
13-12-2003, 08:56
It is not entirely impossible that you just defeated 80% of DrA's military! Waiting for healing means that DrA has 2 or 3 more turns to regroup as well and with the roads he will be in your direction very quickly. He will be in panic and unaware of your strength. I would profit from that and bluf my way through. I would attack!

DrA just lost a lux (the Elphants)? Good :)

Skyfish
13-12-2003, 14:08
I dont think so Aggie, I think his army is in Persia and will be back in 1 or 2 turns, he just signed peace with them of course [sad]

Skyfish
23-12-2003, 21:33
Sorry guys!
I am still waiting for the save back [sad]
[cry]

anarres
23-12-2003, 21:41
I don't think DrA has access to PTW at the moment, he is in Nottingham instead of Brighton.

Skyfish
05-01-2004, 13:24
We played a few turns [drunk]

My surprise attack has not lived up to my expectations :(
DrA has managed to bring his forces back en masse and rapidly...

The first attack wounded almost all my horses since they cant heal in his territory and I cant wait for him to have everyone back from Persia I had to change tactics. I decided to avoid the capital, pillage the core and go for his first ring cities. I separated my forces in 3, had one SoD staying outside his border to heal, and 2 other going past his capital towards "other targets" [evil]

Last turn DrA destroyed one of thsoe SoDs, tough but it cost him a lot, he's lost probably 20 jags by now [eek]
He had to use units from Teotihuacan and now this city is defended by wounded Jags, exactly what I needed [mwaha]

I attack it and here's how it goes :
Vet Impi attacks wounded vet Jag and loses ! Jag is down to 2hp
Elite Impi attacks a 3hp Elite Jag and wins...with 2 hp loss
My Elite Horse with 3hp attacks your 2hp jag, wins and ...
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/200415133928_DrA-Leader.jpg

Now it is just a question of defending him and bringing him back home... The Pyramids are still available as well as an FP....
After careful consideration I decide to capture Teo in order to move faster to the next 2 cities and better defend my Leader.

Need your great eyes guys : it looks to me like a colony up there under the fog no ?
Capturing Teo cuts him from whatever he was getting up there [devil2]

Thanks to my pillaging I dont believe he can reach Teo with the troops in his capital, I really hope so
it would be a shame to lose this leader, he can be in one of my galleys in just 3 turns with his 3 move.

Here is the situation now :
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/200415135853_DrA-Situation.jpg

I am in Republic next turn and I will not trade for it with anyone so that Dr A needs to research it himself, it will give me a good advance on him I hope.
Since this attack did not result in much destruction for him, its building time again now since I am in Golden Age (the first 4 turns of being spent in Anarchy...)
The plan is to now outbuild him and get to Knights before he does, the 2 AIs are non-factor so I will try to outresearch him to hopefully finish this game soon...

Plux
05-01-2004, 13:52
Nice going, and congrats on the GL [goodjob]. I'm eager to see if DrA manages to recover from this blow, I doubt it. Tough choice on the pyramids or FP; seeing the layout of your homeland I think FP may better be handbuilt in the east or south of Zimbabwe, so pyramids would prolly get my vote. Oh shit, this is no demogame?!? [???]:D

Skyfish
05-01-2004, 14:03
Thanks a lot Plux! Your remark is more than welcome and as usual "spot on" !
OTOH There are good lands to my south though and I love the boost of an early FP..however lets not jump the gun here !
I told Dr A about the leader in my battle report so he will throw everything he has at it
so I might not have this Leader for long, lets not jinx it...[sad]

ProPain
05-01-2004, 14:04
Quick MSN transcript. :)

I think you won' t lose this game anymore Sky. Also I was thinking DrA probably wouldnt bother attacking Teo. because he doesnt know you have a leader, totally forgot about the compulsary battle report. Proves Beam is right, we need to write down these rules :D

I think I would use the leader for an FP, pyramids is nice but my guess is this game will be short lived, so better take the quick production win!

Aggie
05-01-2004, 14:21
Great display of skill and determination Sky :D

Skyfish
06-01-2004, 08:36
Dr Alimentado has resigned yesterday once he got the game from me after the turn I described earlier.
Different reasons were mentionned.
Short term :
- he could not get to my city this turn in order to kill my Leader.
- his 2 cities to the North (Texcoco Tlacopan) were empty and even with whipping this turn I could still raze them next turn.
- My second stack once healed could have pillaged his core to death
Long Term :
- I am in Republic and Golden Age with an FP soon up while he is at least 20 turns away from Republic with his GA almost over.
- 4 first ring cities destroyed so early is a huge gap
- getting out of that hole would have been a major achievement and huge work.

I am quite happy with his decision of course :), he is an excellent player and I really thought I would not win at this visit at one point [eek]

NOW the fun part begins as I have to find a Signature for him as reward to this grudge match [evil]
I would like to take suggestions from you of coruse : what can be the worse signature we can find for this sucker ?
[:p]

Shabbaman
06-01-2004, 08:39
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

This is a grudge match that started on MSM when I defended Shabbaman against the incessant bashing of DrAlimentado [crazyeye]

So what was that about? [hmm]

Good to know you avenged me...

Skyfish
06-01-2004, 08:56
Can't remember :D

You guys were having a friendly go at each other and then Dr A said : Why not sort it out in a grudge match PBEM ?
To which you replied that your levels were different so I stepped in and told him to pick on me if he had a problem :D

Shabbaman
06-01-2004, 08:59
Ah... yes... well, I'm not masochistic enough for those grudge matches ;)

anarres
06-01-2004, 10:21
How about this for DrA's sig? [groucho] [lol]

Roses are red
Violets are twisted
I'm bent over double
And I want to get fisted

Skyfish
06-01-2004, 10:25
[coool]
Keep them acomin' dudes ! that one from anarres is a great one [lol]

Shabba said on MSM :
"I am not a doctor, I only pretend I am a gynaecologist so I can at least see some"
[rotfl]

Aggie
06-01-2004, 10:38
Poor Dr A :(

Melifluous
06-01-2004, 13:08
How about "Cracker is a really lovely man! When I grow up I want to have his children"

:D

Melifluous

Skyfish
06-01-2004, 13:31
Yes he should "come out of the closet" AND declare his flame to cracker :D