PDA

View Full Version : CONQUEST MAP MAKING - Discussion thread

Skyfish
27-11-2003, 09:24
Lets find out collectively how map generation works out in Civ3 Conquests.
Please post your findings here.

Well my first very short test was extremely positive.
I went to Multiplayer screen, checked PBEM, Load game, inserted players modified level and launched...

The Deity level for the humans and AI worked (seemed to?) :
-> score was 70 for everyone after one round (because of the addition of DemiGod)
-> First unhappy citizen came at size 2

:D

Next test with a Scenario (BIX file of a map)...

anarres
27-11-2003, 12:42
[coool]

Skyfish
05-12-2003, 12:55
Off course now the major challenge we have is that the game can NOT be saved before the end of the turn which means the MapMaker can not deliver a 4000BC game to the players.

My suggestion at the moment would be to have the Map Maker play the first turn, take NO action, play the 2nd players turn, take NO action and then send that saved game as the start file to player 1 : all games would start in 3950BC.

Because there is no level bug and no need for Conversions anymore now, this would not add too much time to the map making process.

It would be a an additional penalty to the Humans but we run over the AIs anyway right now...
It really is not the ideal solution but at the moment I can t see any other, I need to do more testing this week-end, there must be a way around this... :(

Lt. Killer M
05-12-2003, 12:59
we are back to either making all Ais skip turn one (possible???) or the mapmaker must play he turn for the first playe, meaning they have to be online or exchange maps screenies etc. via email.

Beam
05-12-2003, 13:00
It also means that the mapmaker must be careful with the diff. and MP settings. There is no 2nd chance other than going thru the process again.

Skyfish
05-12-2003, 13:09
Starting one turn later than the AIs is not a big problem I believe, maybe now there will be more "Deity with 1 settler for the AI" games in order to minimize the AI bonus at the start.

Having the MapMaker play the first turn is quite difficult and not very practical also, we maybe want to have ONE rule for all ladder games, so if we decide we start in 3950 then it should be that way for *everyone*.

Beam
05-12-2003, 13:18
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

Starting one turn later than the AIs is not a big problem I believe, maybe now there will be more "Deity with 1 settler for the AI" games in order to minimize the AI bonus at the start.

Having the MapMaker play the first turn is quite difficult and not very practical also, we maybe want to have ONE rule for all ladder games, so if we decide we start in 3950 then it should be that way for *everyone*.

Agree (although I have to get familiar with the ladder as well now :))

Melifluous
07-12-2003, 15:38
OK I had a look at this and tried various things including starting an MP game on one computer with two sessions of C3C running and saving after it started and trying to load that as a PBEM game but nothing worked... :(

Then I saw this in the C3C editor
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/melifluous/200312715369_AnIdeaForThis.jpg
128.03KB

Set the flag for custom player data and then set this flag for the AI characters and continue.

Viola! Everyone now skips the first go...

Melifluous

Skyfish
07-12-2003, 18:08
quote:regardless of weather
[eek] [crazyeye] [eek]

But seriously this could indeed be a great solution, I still need to understand what happens to the save and so forth but Meli could have saved us *again* with a MapMaking challenge!

Beam
10-12-2003, 00:16
I am really unsure now if or how the "Skip 1st turn" option works. As you mentioned in the Killer vs Beam sav the AI still was settling and I noticed the same in the map I made for Erik vs Stapel. Even if it does not make a big difference it still would be beneficial to understand the C3C mechanism.

Have to try this out I guess.

Skyfish
10-12-2003, 08:29
Indeed we need more testing, it looks like the "Skip 1st turn" option is not working on PBEMs; I have an idea I have to try, if that doesn't work...

Grille
31-12-2003, 14:00
[hmm]
Why not hand out the properly pre-made .biq file and let one opponent open the game (choose diff, then load scenario on MP starting screen)? This player should of course kill the .biq ASAP to counter-attack any (later) 'cheating temptation'.
You need to trust your opponent in MP games anyways.

edit:(:D) there's of course another glitch: when loading the .biq, the opening player must of course somehow cover the right bottom part of the monitor and pick the scenarion by name (or switch off monitor and type in scenario's name 'blindly').

ERIKK
31-12-2003, 14:15
Yup, he must cover the pic of the map when he selects the biq from the list. But for the rest I
see no problems. But when you are really annoyed with losing 1 turn then another solution is
placing all ai's on mountains forcing them to move the first turn.

Skyfish
31-12-2003, 14:28
Indeed Grille if u really do not want the AI to have one turn up on you, you should say it in your Map Request :)