PDA

View Full Version : AI stupidities

Kingreno
25-11-2003, 10:12
Now that conquests is out how about a discussion about the AI. Do they need to give them even more boni? 60% at deity with a bunch of extra units was not enough to make the better humans lose the game. Maybe the "sid" level will. But is that right?

Look at the following:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Kingreno/2003112510442_minimap.jpg
58.84KB

In this game, on Emperor, The Mongol AI recieved this awesome starting position. However, Mining the cows, not building a granary (still does not have it...) and NOT building any city near the two cows to the NW of his captitol gave the mongols only an average empire in size.
I am not an expert but is it that hard to make the AI a) build its cities closer to eachother, b) standard irrigate the cows c)build granaries in potentially 4/5/6-turn setlerfactories? d)NOT start a freaking setler that will finish long before the city is size 3?
IMHO that would be far more challenging then a 60% bonus...[ponder]

Lt. Killer M
25-11-2003, 10:18
butt hat requires thinking and programing.....

anarres
25-11-2003, 10:33
My current pet 'AI-hate' is it's inability to deal with corrutpion. Even in 95% corrupt towns it will still fail to pick the high food tiles first. [rolleyes]

Darkness
25-11-2003, 11:51
The AI's inability to get good city-placement is indeed very, very annoying...
It hurts them in the early game and it's annoying to me after I've conquered them... :D

Beam
25-11-2003, 11:51
Barbarians are really glued to their positions, in one occasion my conscript warrior passed a stack of Horsemen and got away with it. Reducing barb suicide is OK but what is the difference if they stack up and kill themselves on Musketeers?

Lt. Killer M
25-11-2003, 11:58
I see barbs RETREAT to mountains now - wtf?

digger760
25-11-2003, 12:02
quote:Originally posted by Beam

Barbarians are really glued to their positions, in one occasion my conscript warrior passed a stack of Horsemen and got away with it. Reducing barb suicide is OK but what is the difference if they stack up and kill themselves on Musketeers?

I noticed this in the mesopotamia sceanrio...and for a while i had settlers and workers unguarded neaby and they still did'nt come out to play.

Reducing barb suicide??? what do you mean by this.

I attacked 10-15 sized barb horseman stacks with 4-5 war-chatiots guarded by 1-2 spears. Attack, fortify, healed by next turn, attack- fortify, rinse and repeat. The barbs almost never counter-attacked. What is the point of such a tedious exercise. The barbs could have actaully won if they attacked in force. Maybe this is why it took me 5 hours 45 mins to play the scenario when i was expecting it to take 2-3 hours.

Beam
25-11-2003, 12:44
quote:Originally posted by digger760

I noticed this in the mesopotamia sceanrio...and for a while i had settlers and workers unguarded neaby and they still did'nt come out to play.

Reducing barb suicide??? what do you mean by this.

I attacked 10-15 sized barb horseman stacks with 4-5 war-chatiots guarded by 1-2 spears. Attack, fortify, healed by next turn, attack- fortify, rinse and repeat. The barbs almost never counter-attacked. What is the point of such a tedious exercise. The barbs could have actaully won if they attacked in force. Maybe this is why it took me 5 hours 45 mins to play the scenario when i was expecting it to take 2-3 hours.

Somewhere I've read that Firaxis thought that barbs running around as single units was not very effective. Therefore they stack up until they feel comfortable to mess around. I'll see if I can find a reference.

Grille
26-11-2003, 14:28

Somewhere I've read that Firaxis thought that barbs running around as single units was not very effective. Therefore they stack up until they feel comfortable to mess around. I'll see if I can find a reference.

Play Maya w/ raging barbs then...;)
I recently managed to harvest 9 slaves (plus 2 elite promotions) from about 30 barbs lazily sitting (including horse barbs) on 3 different tiles next to my cruel 2-Jav thrower "SoD"...
Barbs never attacked, but their sheer mass would have SURELY terminated my two Jav throwers...

another ai stupidity (maybe): possibly it was just by chance until now, but somehow I receive quite a lot of tribute demandings from distant civs that have NO single unit anywhere near me. Call them bluff and they declare war pretty much often; well I don't complain about the fireworks due to wh...:D, arch enemies are worth A LOT (esp. in early game w/o much lux res/markets). Plus, I get the wh benefit back everytime I declare war on them later!

Lt. Killer M
26-11-2003, 14:32
another one: two warrior, both reg, enter my lands and attack me. both die.

nothing happenes for 15 turns although the enemy is only 15 tiles away.

a single vet spear shows up. I block his path to workers and roads

nothin happenes for 15 turns

I move two warriors inot enemy lands - they give me IW for peace and 100 Gold.....

hu?

Shabbaman
26-11-2003, 14:51
LOL

this game is getting dumber and dumber...