PDA

View Full Version : Kemal vs Skyfish THE REVENGE *****SPOILER****

Skyfish
15-11-2003, 23:16
Deity (straight)
Large
Continents (only 2), max land
Normal/temperate/old
each of us sharing a continent with 3 AIs (6 AIs total)
Sedentary barbs

Kemal : Player 1/ admin : Vikings
Skyfish : Player 2 : Ottomans
(Just because I was player 1 in our last game...)

Skyfish
15-11-2003, 23:42
Here is my start :

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/skyfish/20031112132314_Start-Kemal.jpg

For more on my opening position check the Open thread :
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070

The hut that you see on the start popped "Pottery" :D
Great stuff so much for half of Kemal's advantage of being Expansionist !
I will need a lot of luck in this game so this is starting perfectly [goggle]

The Large map, no barbs and native lux was going to allow me a nice farmers' gambit...I thought, well bad news came actually very quickly :
the Americans are right on my doorstep [aargh] Thats for my hut luck...

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/skyfish/20031115223828_3150-lands.jpg

To make matters even worse, they got fuck all to trade ! [mad3]

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/skyfish/20031115223941_3150-diploUS.jpg

Well at least it s a shitty Civ next door with no UU, no GA and no cheap buildings...
They will as first meet the rage of the Ugly Turks and their ignominious Leader Skyfish ! [devil2]

As you can notice I went on a crazy min science gamble again : I tested it on large continent maps a few times and was satisfied, we'll see what it brings this time...
[crazyeye]

Puwen
16-11-2003, 11:13
Nice start, a town on the goldhill would be nice, might even have a chance for colossus if you start it at once.

Skyfish
16-11-2003, 14:56
[hmm] I hate going for ancient wonders at Deity level, I don't believe I will do it...

Making sure I will get the Colossus means joining workers to the city, high lux tax to keep the pop happy, etc... it comes at a great price to the rest of the empire.
The only wonder worse doing that is the Pyramids.

ERIKK
16-11-2003, 15:08
pussy.... ;)

Pastorius
16-11-2003, 16:05
[lol]

Lt. Killer M
18-11-2003, 11:39
oh well..... another gmae where the start looks better than mine in the kingreno game..... :p

Skyfish
18-11-2003, 11:42
At least I did not make the map from your KingReno game right ? :D

Lt. Killer M
18-11-2003, 11:44
Sky: but it looks as if you did!

Eldakkar
18-11-2003, 12:14
Of which turn are the pictures above?

Skyfish
18-11-2003, 12:31
[eek]

[shout] A spy from the enemy camp ! [aargh]

Like hell am telling you dude ! [lol]

Eldakkar
18-11-2003, 12:47
[lol]

Come on, have a little faith, Sky, or are you still not convinced that Kemal and I are not the same person?

Maybe i should post a picture.

But i would guess you popped a settler or advanced tribe, since Edrine is obviously brand new and Istanbul has not built a settler recently.

Skyfish
18-11-2003, 12:56
If you post a picture then yes, I will believe you 100% :D

ERIKK
18-11-2003, 13:00
Yeah post a pic of both of you, as brothers, so we can see if you look alike...

Skyfish
29-11-2003, 22:18
OK the first turn of the game was reached and with great success !
On turn 40 my min science run on Iron Working completed and I got monopoly : I had just met the other 2 civs as well so it completed perfectly (remember I am close to the Americans).
I forgot to keep track of the exact deal sequence but I got all first level techs PLUS Writing and Mysticism...and still have 200g in the chest, so it was a nice result.
I first bought Alphabet, than saw that Babylon had Writing (I had hoped one or more civ with writing !) *and* they had no contact with America :D
So with Iron Working+contact with America+385g that I got from selling IW to Korea I bought Writing and sold it for all other techs and did a 2fer with Mysticism that Korea had.
Big round of trade it was.

During the min sci run, I bought 2 workers from America ! Gotta love a gamble !
(By the way I had extensively tested that one...)

Knowing Kemal's tech pace I need a really quick pace on my continent so I am playing differently than normal, I want the AIs to contribute as much as possible, only America will be weakened as they are so close.
Thus my next choice of going to max science on Mathematics : I want to trade Math for the post writing techs (Philo, CoL, MapMaking and Lit).
Will see how it goes...

Here is the empire : a definite farmer's gambit [eek] The advantage of Large continent max land :D The settler is going for the Incense, I am desperate for luxes. Two more cities will be built in the forests on the first ring.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/skyfish/20031129211645_1900bc.jpg
98.51*KB

Lt. Killer M
30-11-2003, 18:47
wow, did you edit the 200 AI troops out or did they really not come to attack you? If I leave any town bigger than size 3 empty I KNOW they will attack within 5 turns......

Skyfish
30-11-2003, 19:04
Thats only because they hate *you* personally Killer :D

Seriously I am very open to attacks here but I can quickly switch all those build orders and whip like mad if needs to be...
From now on only my 2 granny cities will produce worker/settler and the rest will go on military duty.

Pastorius
30-11-2003, 22:07
[lol]

erm...they seem to hate me as well :(

Plux
30-11-2003, 22:32
Great lands, Sky! Kemal shouldn't stand a chance against these Ottoman farmers ;)

Skyfish
30-11-2003, 22:47
[eek] [eek]
Gulp!

Indeed they are great lands but am sure Kemal's got the same so please dont expect anything [blush2]...

ERIKK
30-11-2003, 22:54
Sky, dopnt place your cities on shores, remember Kemal is the Vikings...

Skyfish
30-11-2003, 23:38
Yes I know that Erikk, I made my dotmap in order to have only 2 shore core cities.
However it would be a huge mistake not too have any shore cities, I would simply lose the game if I dont.
My take on Berzerks is that they need to be carried by boats, one needs to strike the Zerks before they even get to your cities [evil]
The best defence is the offence !

ERIKK
30-11-2003, 23:50
hehehe... [evil]

I would like to see some Naval battles!

Carry on Admiral Skyfish but be sure where to strike at Kemals fleet, you will need to know
where his fleet is when the time is right...

Skyfish
14-12-2003, 23:39
Long due update.
The game is progressing great, its quite intense. I have to apologize I did not knwo take notes recently and have been real busy.
In short my max sci on Math worked out perfect, the AIs had tech and money, I had 2 huge trading rounds and now the sprint towards Republic has started.
Both Babylon and Korea are absolutely great for complemeting each other with techs, they have nice lands and are strong AIs, hell they even blackmailed once each :D
America also did its bit by getting a tech from hut and thus contributing to 2 huge trading rounds ! All techs are known and I share everything so we can outresearch Kemal (like that would ever be possible [lol])
We just need Currency and Construction (since 1600BC!) to be in Middle Age, then 3 of us will get a free tech [evil] hopefully letting the other continent in the dust [mwaha]

I am building troops to take out those nice Industrious Americans who just built the Pyramids in honour of their great Ottoman neighbors :D

I am producing 2 vet chariots per turn right now.

Here is a view of my strategic position, America will make a great second core but I have this belt of shitty lands separating me from the rest of the continent [sad]
My second ring is at distance 8-8.5 so I can stuff the FP ring nicely.

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/skyfish/2003121422390_1250-zoomout.jpg

It's been a real nice game until now and I have not made too many mistakes. The only blight in the plan has been the US settling that 2nd ring coastal site under my nose [mad3] They will pay dearly for this atrocity.
I could have 20 cities by 1000bc but I will keep the settlers to fill the second core. All will hang on how long do I have to wait for a GL [devil]

Aggie
15-12-2003, 07:54
So thoase Americans weren't very close after all ;) They were just very quickly near you with their scouts. Looks like a great game so far [thumbsup]

Skyfish
15-12-2003, 11:20
Well as you can see with San Francisco, the Americans are much too close for comfort. For a large map with less AIs than normal I feel they could have been further away. Of course it s not a problem at all and the map is turning out greeat so far ! Its just that I did not expect it so I had not planned for it.
I am very happy it's the "no UU, no GA civ" and now that they have the Pyramids its turned out into a great advantage.

Skyfish
06-01-2004, 16:32
We are now at a crucial stage in the game for me :
- I am 1 turn away from Republic
- Korea has Currency so we only miss Construction now !
- My forces are ready to be upgraded in Aydin my border city and attack 'en masse' the Americans : just need HBR and 100g to upgrade my 20 chariots to Horses [evil]
- I have 4 or 5 settlers ready to re-settle the US.
- With Rep at monopoly (I hope) I will be able to synch our passage to the Middle Ages and maybe use the "Big Picture" screen so that the 3 of us get the 3 first MA techs.
- I have one galley going round but I dont expect any contact yet...However that galley has allowed me to sell my WM every other turn to the AIs for almost exactly my deficit of research :D
- Kemal has overtaken me in score in a very drastic way: he must be expanding like mad but I have stopped my expansion in order to build free settlers for the second core. If I dont get a Leader am dead but I have to take risk if I stand any chance vs the Master himself.
- I have stopped my mil build up to start Libs in my core so that I can research fast during MA in order to take adavantage of the free Sci techs me and my neighbours will get.

Notice on the picture how Washington is at size 1 : imagine the Pyramids get auto-razed [mwaha] [lol]

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/200416153139_Kemal-BeforeRep.jpg

Lt. Killer M
06-01-2004, 16:35
overkill

I just hope you have better RNG luck that I usually encounter....

Skyfish
06-01-2004, 17:29
Its never overkill ...because even if I get "your" RNG, I will still be OK ;)

Skyfish
07-01-2004, 13:05
I have just played what was my biggest turn ever since I play Civ3 ever !

I was expecting a big turn with Republic coming in, declaration of War on America and the possibility of getting into the Middle Ages...
but first lets take you through the turn as it happened :

I open the save and first thing I get is this :
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/20041711413_Kemal-BeforeWar1.jpg

[rotfl] [lol] [rotfl]
Those Americans are visionaries sometimes arent they ;)
Well guess what ?
I tell him to Fuck Off hoping he will declare and I can get the happiness :)
But of course no such luck :

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/20041711739_Kemal-BeforeWar2.jpg

Then I get the screen telling me I found The Republic, having heard of that last exploit of using the Big Picture screen
and having 16 cities I though I would put that trick to good use.
So when the screen comes up I go to Big Picture and
decide to check my AIs to see what I can trade for Republic before one of them gets it :
Korea has Currency and Babylon has Contruction, perfect :D
So I trade Republic to Babs for Construction+HBR (more expensive than Curency) plus all their money (326g).
I then try to trade Construction for Currency to Koreans who actually will not accept it ! [eek]
I want to keep Republic to trade for their first MA tech and since the price of Currency is so high and also they have 220g+
that I want I decide, after long hesitations to wait,
I can always close the deal during my turn
and still lost in my thoughts... I quit the F4 screen instead of going to F1 to revolt [aargh] [wallbash]
I'll never get used to some of those tricks [sad]

Feeling really disgusted I get into the game, mechanically moving units and workers
to finally get to my galley which I had actually forgotten [blush2] and then this happens :

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/200417112637_Kemal-BeforeArab1.jpg

The other continent ! I need to suicide it but hey if I could get contact this turn that would be absolutely awesome no ?
Well I move straight towards the pink line and here is what I see :D

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/200417112852_Kemal-BeforeArab2.jpg

BINGO !
[jump] [party] [drunk] [band]

The Arabs are actually up Currency [eek] but have no Republic, Literature or Construction. I ask for everything they have :
- Comms with Scandinavia (Kemal), India and Carthage (the rest of the AIs)
- All their money (146g)
- Currency
- World Map !
Well Republic does not pay for it alone of course but Rep+Literature does !
If not it would take my whole treasure (aro 750g ?) but I need money for my Chariot upgrade
and I want to run def research asap in MA.
Also I believe Kemal is already in Republic since he got that huge boost in score recently so I got no qualms with selling Republic to the other AIs.
Of course it could help him getting it faster or making it affordable to him if he is not researching it
but I very seriously doubt it, I am sure he already has it at this point, I ahve studied his gaems very closely.
With luck if could prevent him from a major deal which would also be nice [evil]

So I accept this deal described above and suddenly discover the whole map and more importantly Kemal's territory.
Well I must admit Continent maps are just amazing for this ! After playing 85 or so turns "in the dark" having no idea
what your opponent looks like or is doing and then finally with one click of the mouse discovering *everything* is just an amazing feeling !
The adrenaline rush you get from it beats some of the best drugs,
I love the Mystery but I love the Discovery of the Mystery is even better;)
Its too bad we will lose that feeling a bit with C3C...

And what a spectacle do I get !!!!!!!
Kemal has a huge Empire with a loose ICS.
Even worse he has ALREADY jumped his Palace and must already have an FP and 2 productive cores !
Un-fuckin-believable ! He has 22 cites to my 16 !
I have never seen such developped Empire so early, it just looks frightening...
and that was me thinking I had played not too bad up to now [cry]
I might as well resign right now, it wll save us all valuable time !

Take a look at his lands, notice no Trondheim anymore, you can compare it to his start postion in the open thread :
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/200417115848_Kemal-Land.jpg

And the MiniMap :

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/20041712044_Kemal-Land2.jpg

Now a bit of good news, a quick check on the F3 screen shows him in Despotism.
Even better the F4 screen shows him lacking The Republic, Literature, Currency and Construcion !
Yeeha ! Even more unbelievable than his lands ! Just for that F4 screen I dont care if I lose the game now :D

He must have been really close to Republic and expecting it to trade it for the 2 missing Ancient Tech with the AIs. Or he went for Construction...who knows?
There is a ton of information to process so at that point I left the turn open ...
and went to bed, I had some serious thinking to do on how to turn this lucky break into a major advantage...
I already had some ideas of course [mwaha]

(To be continued very very soon)

Lt. Killer M
07-01-2004, 13:09
wow! [eek]

ERIKK
07-01-2004, 13:21
Kill him off Sky, you can do it!!! [satan]

ps:
funny that statement from Killer, as I told you the opposite: only 20 horses and nothing else

seems a bit tricky IMO. Certainly when you arent building any more troops (but libraries)...

Plux
07-01-2004, 13:22
Coolness :). Reads like a very exciting thriller movie! I wonder how it ends :D

anarres
07-01-2004, 13:42
hehehe. Good luck, you will need it!

Skyfish
07-01-2004, 14:31
Thanks guys !

Erikk : no way I can do it man ! He is huge and got loads of big cities and his lands have much more food bonuses than mine.
I might do a comparative study later if I have time.
Also he has tons of coastal cities and will flood me with Berzerks !
Even Rifles lose massively vs those fuckers [mad]

I already told Kemal when we started :
This is the PBEM of all PBEMs to end the PTW era :
if I win this one I will retire from PBEMs and possibly Civ3...could not reach a higher goal :D

Plux : I can guarantee you it's not a Hollywood movie so dont expect any "happy end" !

I better go on before I forget the rest of the story, I lost some of my notes already [blush]
__________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

OK so we know a bit more about Kemal now but what about the other AIs ?
India is stronger than Carthage, they have Currency and Literature but no Republic !
Carth is missing Lit and Republic, both have almost no money though...

Now the funny part about this is that I have asked *multiple times*,
hell I even begged him to get an agreement about the fact that we should not have abusive MAs or phoney wars :
he always refused saying we could negotiate "in the game" once he can "evaluate the situation better" ! grrr...
Well now I am going to show him why I think its not fun to play with "anything goes" rules !
I buy Embassies with India, Carthage and Arabs, I go to the F4 screen, declare War on Kemal,
go to India, buy an Alliance (and all their money) for Republic,
I go to Carthage and do the same.
Finally I go to the Arabs and buy an Alliance for Construction :D
This last move was a tough decision because now Construction
is known by one AI Kemal has contact with and it will be cheaper
for him to search it
but since he is at war with Arabia (and everyone else he knows)
at least he can not buy it for 6 turns !

Finally, I realize I am in the Middle Ages now since I got Currency from Arabs but both Korea and Babs still aren't...
My free tech is Monotheism !
I go to the Babs and gift them Currency (they have nothing left...)
They get Feudalism ! [joker]
Monotheism + 187g buys me Feudalism !
Now I go to Korea and sell them Construction for all their money (remember I wanted to grab it during the inter-turn...)
turns out it was 232g.
They draw Feudalism too... cant have all the luck of course !

And that concludes this huge trading round :
- I have all the money in the world (760g) except the 187g I gave to the Babs.
- I am up Republic, Construction, Currency, Literature, Monotheism
and Feudalism on Kemal
- I have exclusive contacts between the 2 continents and I am the only one to have the World Map.
- He is at war with all the AIs he knows so no way he can trade for techs in the next 6 turns (except if he has a galley close of course)
- All AIs are Polite towards me, except Korea who still lacks Republic (I am hoping I can trade for it later)

Here is a nice screenie :
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/200417133722_Kemal-Diplo925.jpg

Finally to conclude, I go to Aydin my garrison city, upgrade my 20 chariots for 400g and declare war honourably on the Americans.
Then at last I go to the F1 screen and go into Anarchy : I draw 6 turns which is average all things considered.

This was my most exciting round for as long as I can remember and just the thought of Kemal opening the turn makes me chuckle :
I can always say that for one moment, a short unreal moment, I had the edge over him [king]

Of course I had to fuck up somewehre, I still made a crucial mistake :
I should have bought embassies with Korea and Babylon before going into Anarchy. One can not buy Embassies while in Anarchy [no]
Now if Kemal finds Korea then he will be able to trade with them and get contact with Babs and Americans.
I did not want to give
my AIs contact with him though in order to keep tech costs up,
that is why the whole world is not at war with them.
If my galley survives it will stay at that junction so that if Kemal is close to finding the Koreans
(and my galley can not sink his [lol]) then I can get an Embassy with Korea and buy an Alliance with them...
Thats hoping it will be in more than 6 turns [rolleyes]

Aggie
07-01-2004, 14:59
Sweet [thumbsup]

Lt. Killer M
07-01-2004, 15:16
JfC!!!!!!

ERIKK
07-01-2004, 15:58
That's the fun of playing without any phoney MA rules. The lucky one who finds the other
human first can fuck the other. You might even be more lucky with a lot of ai units present
on his lands or workers near the border who can be grabbed etc etc... If Kemal is player 1
and Sky player 2, the AI will move first (I think) which would suck even more for Kemal as he
probably went for a farmer gambit.

I can go on but what I am saying here is that luck determines a big deal of this particular
game, and that sucks IMO... [rolleyes]

Skyfish
07-01-2004, 16:15
quote:If Kemal is player 1
and Sky player 2, the AI will move first (I think) which would suck even more for Kemal as he
probably went for a farmer gambit.

Yes that is the case, I am player 2.

but it would not "suck" :
- he chose for a farmers gambit (if thats the case) knowing pretty
well that an AI could attack him at any point !
Remember/know what a "gambit" means ?

- he refused vehemently any kind of agreement regarding phoney wars/MAs :
anybody refusing them should be ready for the worse
at any point I know for sure he will not complain one second about it...

quote:that luck determines a big deal of this particular
game, and that sucks IMO

Sorry to be so rude when you are so kind to post in my forum but...[blush2]
I disagree again... Luck is a factor in Civ3, and thank god for that or else it would be as boring as fuck !
But also to be honest most of us here are of equal level on this
forum so of course luck is going to be the deciding factor in loads
of PBEMs, nothing you could ever do about and i dont believe it sucks.

Luck is what can make weaker players like me have a chance of beating extraordinary players like Kemal !
The guy needs to lose at least once in his life no ? ;)

Aggie
07-01-2004, 16:20
My two cents: phoney wars and setting up ma's like this have less to do with luck than getting a freakin' SGL in the ancient age !!

Sky: you did great ;)

ERIKK
07-01-2004, 16:30
He he he,

I dont want to rain on your parade, Sky ;)

Well, it does affect the game Sky. If you dont make any arrangements things like
happen. If for instance the things happen what I said above, the gamne could be over real
soon. But I know it is the choice you and him make. I would not like to make them. Fortunally
my opponents didn't wanted them so desperatly either. What I always say: playing without
MA rules is a totally different game then one with them. I play with them and none of
my games are boring (and nobody complained)!:)

ERIKK
07-01-2004, 16:45
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

- he refused vehemently any kind of agreement regarding phoney wars/MAs :

Well, IIRC he did the same (like you do now) to anarres in that 1vs1.
Maybe he counted on being the first to meet again in this game (think about a bunch of suicide galleys).

Well, I will be happy to read his spoiler. He will probably be ready
for it and nothing is wrong anyway. But still: remember that a phoney
MA set up like this one can happen on a very bad moment: a game killer
moment.. [estwing]

Aggie
07-01-2004, 16:53
ERIKK, I don't understand your point at all. They agreed upon no agreements regarding MA's. That means: always be alert and if you take risks: too bad! Gamer killer? No, I'd say game winner (for the other)!

yndy
07-01-2004, 17:02
He was asking for it and he got what he deserved. Like Erikk, I would not really want to play a PBEM where I could face such a surprise. This would ruin my pleasure.

Now maybe Kemal is masochistic and likes such challenges. Could you check your F3 (how dumb was I to press the F3 key while writing this message?) and tell us how you stand vs. Kemal and vs his new opponents?

Skyfish
07-01-2004, 17:03
Indeed Erikk, Aggie is right, its not a game killer at all !
Kemal knew that he could have ALL AIs vs him at anypoint in the game, if he ran a true farmers gambit (which I doubt) and he loses loads of units when they attack him then its ENTIRELY his fault and has nothing to do with luck...

However I agree with you that suicide galleys and no MA rules favour the one who has luck more than a game where its not allowed/limited :)

Skyfish
07-01-2004, 17:16
Yes F3, thats the part of my report I forgot ! Thanks Yndy !

With Chariots :
I am strong compared to Kemal.
but weak compared to all his neigbors :D

Once I upgrade to Horsemen :
I am still strong compared to Kemal.
but average compared to India and Arabia and weak compared to Carthage.
Surely because of the NuMercs.

[mwaha] Good luck Kem ! [mwaha]

ERIKK
07-01-2004, 18:41
quote:Originally posted by Aggie

ERIKK, I don't understand your point at all. They agreed upon no agreements regarding MA's. That means: always be alert and if you take risks: too bad! Gamer killer? No, I'd say game winner (for the other)!
AFAIK there is nothing not to understand at all. I agree with
you on almost everything. Kemal chose it and gets it in the face now.
But you say 'game winner', I say lucky 'game winner'... ;)

On the F3 part: it sure does look like a farmers gambit with so much
cities and you being strong with twenty chariots in this part of the
game... Either Kemals suicide galleys sunk or he thought the islands
were further distanced... He obviously is aware of the evil phoney MA
that can strike him at any moment... [evil]

Kingreno
07-01-2004, 20:17
OTOH I doubt whether India, arabia and Carthage have invasionforces ready at the border. You are ahead Sky, so much is clear, but it would not be prudent to presume Kemal dead.

anarres
07-01-2004, 21:07
Just remember to update the spoiler when you attack. ;)

Skyfish
07-01-2004, 21:28
Hey, hey, hey wait a second here !
Let there be no misunderstanding :
THERE IS NO WAY IN THE WORLD I AM GOING TO WIN THIS GAME !!!!!!!!

Please read again my comments, he has played far better than me up to now:
- His expansion has been huge
- He had a 4 turn settler factory in his capital thanks to the bold move of founding his capital in 3900BC !
- His strategy of having 2 close cores with an early palace jump is the best use of land I have ever seen
His use of the expansionist trait to discover all lands around him and start planning his city sites (and subsequent palace jump) is absolutely remarkable.
- His lands are much richer in food than mine
- He could have up to 10 *first ring* (FP or Palace) coastal cities all producing navy
- His Zerks will totally destroy all my coastal cities without a doubt with a GA that can be triggered much earlier than mine.
- He has never lost a single game and simply a much better player than I am...
- Do I need to go on ?

That is the reason I am savouring this moment where I am in front of him right now as it will never last !
My 15 seconds of fame and glory :D
The fact that I am in front has nothing to do with skill at all btw... ;)
Also I rejoice in the fact that he gets a taste of his own medicine with the phoney war/no MA stuff :
I only play for the fun and thats really funny, its my twisted sense of humour :D

Gothmog
07-01-2004, 21:51
Sounds like fun Sky...

I had to chuckle at this:quote:The adrenaline rush you get from it beats some of the best drugs

Not to reveal too much, heh.

Skyfish
10-01-2004, 17:47
Oh yeah Gothmog, its a close call but sex is still better than Civ :D

Skyfish
15-01-2004, 15:17
The war against George W. Fucking Bush and his Axis of Evil is going really great [mwaha] [fdevil] [mwaha]

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/2004115141336_Kemal-WarPyramids.jpg

The turn after I got contact with Kemal and sold Republic to everyone I saw that he discovered it too !
It means I was right to assume he would go full research on Republic (forgot to say I investigated his capital before I declared war on him :
he had in excess of 700gold and was running MAX research : Outrageous !),
he must have been real close to it since he got it just one turn after me [devil]

He did not go into anarchy that turn though, he waited one or 2 turns. He probably wasnt too ready for a continent war straight away ;)

As you can see above the AIs are really weak though I seriously doubt
this continent-wide war will cause him any trouble, I am doing this
only to try to delay him [sad]
The best news out of this is that my galley survived and got to the
other side of the straight, it spotted a Kemal galley going towards
the straight, since we are at war (and not a phoney one at that ;) )
I attacked him [evil]
If I had lost I would have then sold all contacts across the world and grab everything that could be before he could make contact with Korea [lol]
Strangely I won :D

Beam
15-01-2004, 15:51
Going strong!

Minimap please?

Skyfish
15-01-2004, 16:09
Minimap of course no problem :D

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/20041151543_Kemal-WarMinimap.pg.jpg
8.17KB

Kingreno
15-01-2004, 16:41

Oh yeah Gothmog, its a close call but sex is still better than Civ :D

That depends on the civ.[:o]

Pastorius
15-01-2004, 20:05
Hm - some tight builds there by the two of you...well - Kemal's build is even tighter
Enlighten a noob as to what the benefits are of such a strategy?

And - nice headbonking

quote:
Oh yeah Gothmog, its a close call but sex is still better than Civ

quote:
Originally posted by Kingreno
That depends on the civ. [:o]

[lol]

Skyfish
15-01-2004, 23:30
Thanks Paal !
Well... tight build...[hmm]...how should I put it [scratch]...
I know ! Ask anarres he is the expert and I learned it from him :D

Seriously its an efficiency issue in the early ages, citiies can share tiles for optimum micro-management :)
But mainly because of RCP : I had to build 2 perfect rings around my capital so I calculated the best 2 distances
possible to fit in the peninsula. In a way, the more cities you have in your 2 rings the more productive your RCP is .
Because it s continent game I was counting on this game going to Industrial Ages so I chose a build
that was not so extreme as in my anarres game for example. Distance 4 and 8, its close but still you
can get first ring cites to size 12.
Anyway, I like it tight (oops sorry OT... :D)
It might not be the best solution but that's the only one I could make with the very scant map knowedge I had...
As you can see with Kemal he used his scout very efficiently to get the map of all his surroundings and
then think of this amazing plan of a palace jump with an FP built all before 1000BC [eek]
I still cant believe how scary this is...

Anyway I am scared at how tight his build his, for me its a sign he wants to end this fast because
his 1st ring cites will have problems as soon as they are size 8 or 9. So its clear he will try to invade me with Zerks.
He cant let me get to Sipahis, I know whats comin my way, its a real race ...
and you might know he is the fastest racer in the world so...say a prayer for me, its gonna be a carnage [lol]

Pastorius
15-01-2004, 23:43
Dear God,
Help Sky, he really needs it

Thanks

Paalikles

seriously though - you're one tough player, so I am sure you can give him a thorough beating at least.

Thanks for the info - will try it out as soon as I have the time.
*realizes that he is pretty much doomed in his game vs Killer's mean vikings....d'oh

Beam
15-01-2004, 23:44
Even without RCP a tight build still works best for a number of reasons, among them are MM, 12-pop limit until IA, efficiency in: settling, building roads, defense. But also getting tiles within boundaries without culture. I agree that Kemals build is very tight, it does remind me of the way Aeson played his HOF games. He could spend more than a day on a turn with just minor breaks and some sleep.

Skyfish
15-01-2004, 23:48
quote:He could spend more than a day on a turn with just minor breaks and some sleep.
Sounds exactly like my mate Kemal :D

Thanks Paal it would be nice if I could be much luckier than him so that he would lose his first game ever [lol]

Skyfish
21-01-2004, 15:15
Just a quick update so that Kemal thinks something is happening on my continent :D

The war is going great, I now have 4 or 5 Elite horses and the main cities are taken, I am now slowing down and its big leader-fishing time....

Libraries are up in the 1st ring river cities, I have changed my build orders from Libraries to Acqueduct in the 1st ring cites that need it (at least 4 :() Its the first time I do that but when they will grow fluently when they reach size 6, I noticed my growth was quite stunted I my anarres game.
I can not max research right now Theology is taking 19 turns, so I am making cash, I got 2 luxes from America so my lux rate is 0% (120gpt).

Kemal drew a 6-turn anarchy and is now Republic, he has not lost any city from the wars and just last turn he bought Peace with Carthage and an alliance vs me. Big deal ! [lol]
More worrying is that he is now in Middle Age and was 4 techs behind last turn, since he is only at peace with Carthage I have no idea how he pulled that one : it must at least have cost him huge amounts of money...Am not gonna buy Carth back vs him as this would certainly free up tons of gpt for him ! Grrrrr....

The Arabs and Indians are still at war with him. All additional delay to get contact with the other continent is good.
The first big set back of the game just happened but I was ready I have no garrisons in any American city (except where a unit ends in there after an attack).
http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/2004121141457_PhillyDepo.jpg

ProPain
21-01-2004, 15:45
Looking good Sky, about the garrisoning of units in a captured city. You say you only leave a unit in a city when it ends in the city after an attack. Afaik however a city will never flip the first turn after being conquered. So I always stack as many units as possible in a city to get all as much resistance down as possible and vacate the next turn.

Skyfish
21-01-2004, 16:24
Yes I know about that I was just trying to prevent wise-ass comments from ppl saying
"Hey why do you just have a horse in Seattle if you dont keep garrisons ?" :D
Well that didnt work too good did it ? [lol]

In general this is a very good tip PP its just that I have planned my attack vs the Americans as a very quick Blitz
I intend to totally destroy them quite soon (thats my way of dealing with Resistance ;))
So as you can see on the picture above my horses went on to take Detroit instead of parking in Seattle.
It s only one turn but when you apply it to all the captured cites it
makes a difference. In 6 turns, I captured Pyramids and 6 or 7 cities I believe.

ProPain
21-01-2004, 16:40
I agree with you that you don't want to this in a fast war. You can however use your troops that are too wounded to contribute to the next attack.

Skyfish
08-02-2004, 17:09
Just a very quick update to say we're on turn 100 and the plan is "on track" :D
Take a look :

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/skyfish/20042816721_Leader-turn100.jpg

Skyfish
09-02-2004, 17:03
Something went extremely wrong in this game...I miscalculated the turns (I think) and Kemal got contact with korea 1 turn
before I thought it was possible [eek]
It s a huge mistake on my part, he turned the whole continent vs me of course but thats not the problem, there was a 2fer opportunity open for me and I missed it because of that, now he is back to level on techs [cry]
I am still totally puzzled on how this happened, I need to go back home and recreate the situation in the editor to be certain
what actually went wrong.

At least this bit of bad news was compensated by the fact that I got a 2nd leader !!!
Just when I was running out of American units now I have easy pickings with poor Korean warriors...

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/skyfish/200429155540_Leader2-550.jpg

This one is my S2L2 : Sipahi Special Leonardo Leader :D
Notice how I have overtaken Kemal in score again...

[jumpD]

Skyfish
23-03-2004, 22:49
Sorry for the lack of news but, believe it or not,
since the last update we have only played 9 turns [eek]

Kemal's been busy studying and I have more and more problem playing PTW :(

I am feeling very uninspired suddenly in this game, I usually love to find a good plan and execute
but here now that I have a second core up and running, I am severely hesitating as to what to do next [cry]

Looking closely at Kemals' land he has tons of coastal cities where he could already be heavily building up naval units.
I decided not to have too many coastal cities so he cant damage me too much amphibiously
but I still need some to sink some of his Zerk-loaded boats...
since I tried to achieve both plans I achieved none [V]

Also the game is just a ping-pong every 6 turns of MAs vs MAs and efforts to limit those
have been unfruitful. I hate those games, its boring, predictible
and brings absolutely nothing to the game.
Am not far from resigning because the game is just no fun anymore...

Now for an update: I am still the tech leader, my AIs are much more powerful than his.
When he got Korea and Babylon to ally vs me it resulted in a second Great Leader as you can see on the previous post,
so when I could turn the alliances vs him again a few turns later I got Engineering and Invention for Theology
I had researched in the mean time.

I am in definite need of help : what should I do ?
1-Stay in the tech lead and go as fast as possible towards Rifles and better ships ?
2- build up a huge army of Horses to then upgrade to Sipahis in around 20 to 30 turns
when Mil Trad will be available ?
3- Upgrade to Knights and attack Korea now ?
4- Build up huge defenses preparing for the Zerks attack ?
5- Resign (its a really harrowing game, we are both playing to the limit and on the chat Kemal also
complains the game is real difficult...)

Here are some pix :

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/skyfish/2004323214153_LeosWorkshop.jpg

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/skyfish/2004323214330_Situation-Leo-F4.jpg

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/skyfish/200432321497_Situation-Leo.jpg

anarres
23-03-2004, 23:03
I guess your best chance is to go for Sipahi and to build a big fleet to defend yourself from the Zerks... [ponder]

Matrix
29-03-2004, 17:21
I don't see why you cannot win this game, Skyfish. Seems like you're not only on the lead, but also you have much potential. You can develop while Kemal is occupied with these wars.

Matrix
22-04-2004, 16:39
See? ;)