PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen this before?

Grille
15-11-2003, 17:14
During an inter-turn, an Indian warrior decided to fall to the ground (btw, with the 'die' sound of a warrior)...

Just finished my research aim, hence the game halted and I caught this screenie:

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Grille/20031115162219_indiadie2.gif
120.29KB

(sorry, the pic file got somehow corrupted and missed the bottom part as well as an EOF message, hope it works though)
(edit: cropped it anyways, file size was way too big /edit)

In vanilla, I have never seen the ai disbanding a unit in the field w/ actually shown animations/sound, although the enemy/friend animation feature was enabled in prefs, of course. For example, if the ai captured a worker, it just disappeared w/o further indication when it was disbanded by the ai.
Since I'm not used to it from vanilla, is such an observation -more or less- common stuff in ptw?
[dunno]

Maybe the Indian warrior is just a lazy guy and hid in a forest outside of his native cultural borders. Naptime, out of the sight of his supervisor (note the health bar, he's still alive!).
:D:)

anarres
15-11-2003, 19:44
I haven't seen a warrior do that before, but I do see the workers disbanding in a similar fashion (I tend to leave enemy animation on).

Grille
15-11-2003, 22:35
Ah, thanks.

Btw, diplo suggests that India was probably running a deficit, thus the warrior was possibly auto-disbanded.
Now I wonder if there's some rule which defines the unit that gets fired in case of deficit spending (somehow I suspected it's preferably a worker).
[hmm]

Another thing:
(sort of Saturday evening off topic spam about bugs):)
In that C3C epic test game, I flipped a couple of cities.
In one instance, the flip pop-up appeared NOT over the concerned city, but in the middle of nowhere - got no idea if this is some C3C bug. Obviously, the map did not recenter around the current event. Not nice to make a decision when you don't know the city in question...
Captured that one as well, but the pic file is also corrupted.:(

Would be nice if one could enable scrolling during such pop-up events (flips, production...) in general, with a re-center shortcut, of course.

Lt. Killer M
16-11-2003, 12:27
been seeing something similar in PTW: disbanding cities has the map jump to the north pole (almost) for a splitsec - only visible if it is a very huge map and thus the jump is slow.

Matrix
16-11-2003, 13:30
I have seen the AI disbanding military units before. But that happens very rarely. ;)

ProPain
16-11-2003, 18:19
Have never seen that before. Also I've never seen that unit that is you before. Is that a C3C screenie?

Matrix
16-11-2003, 18:40
That's an Enkidu warrior. ;)

Grille
16-11-2003, 19:36
Yeah, the Enkidu Warrior is the UU of the Sumerians. Replaces warrior, ADM=1.2.1, cost 10, cannot build spears nor use warrior->sword mass upgrade (upgrades to pike instead).
Very cheap defense, it's even worth to rush them in the middle ages as makeshift defenders in unconnected, newly conquered cities.

ProPain
27-11-2003, 18:49
talk about weird!!!! Started a C3C game and ended up a tad close to two other caps [crazyeye]

Standard size map, 8 oppponents. Some AI must have heaps of space!

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/ProPain/20031127174810_freaky.jpg
169.49KB

ERIKK
27-11-2003, 19:38
nice arrows! ;)

Skyfish
27-11-2003, 20:39
[lol]
Gotta love the Civ choice as well :D

Grille
27-11-2003, 21:10
Trait doesn't count for ai?
Talking about "seafaring civs start with their settler at the coast..."[rolleyes]
(Portugal & England have that trait IIRC)

But: That's a really cramped starting loc anyways for standart/8civs![eek]

Btw, somehow I suspect that culturally linked starting locations plus random ai opponents will very likely give you quite a lot (if not almost all) of same-culture civs in total on the whole map (logically, pretty much likely that you start next to a civ of same culture then). From what I was used to in vanilla, there was more variety of participating civs (in terms of different culture groups). But then again, we now have more civs per culture group. I think it's not really c.l. starting locations, but just the opponents being "randomly" picked out of ONE group (if you slot-in 'random civ'), so it's not that random...
[hmm]

PP, based on that, I'd be interested which other "randomly chosen" civs have settled on your map.
Maybe you don't mind the F10/space race 'cheat' (or use top5 cities and alike) to share the info?

edit: yeah, cool arrows!:D[cool]

ProPain
27-11-2003, 23:15
Met them all:

Netherlands, Germany, England, France, Portugal, Spain, Scandinavia, Russia

So I guess you;re right Grille

Grille
28-11-2003, 14:11
:D
FYI:
quote:ProPain:
Some AI must have heaps of space! (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=1392898#post1392898)

Yeah, but that advantage comes along with a side-effect...
[rotfl]

[scratch]
Now what would the ai do with a second settler there?
(curraghs don't load settlers AFAIK)

Kingreno
28-11-2003, 14:50
That dutch warrior looks like J.P.Balkenende! he does!!!

Grille
01-12-2003, 21:37
Weird starting positions, the next chapter...

Starting locs can be really close by.
Here's two links to pics I caught on another civ site (Civ Webring); and it's NOT 31 civs on tiny or similar...;):
(hope the linking works)

Shot1 (http://www.civ2-forum.gamigo.de/attachment.php?s=a1e9e7d0f0583a7a52ed0dc8c265b406&postid=237729)

Shot2 (http://www.civ2-forum.gamigo.de/attachment.php?s=bc21a6b531ae0611bbe61de3496fa880&postid=74626)
this was even on a large map (max opp)

ProPain
01-12-2003, 23:29
I think they seriously messed up the starting placement. That looks really weird.

Skyfish
02-12-2003, 09:28
Again another bug...

Pastorius
02-12-2003, 21:50
I played an 8 player internet game on saturday - and we were 6 players on one continent and there were 2 on the other one - which was slightly larger...would have posted a screenie, but alas, I lost the game before having the entire map - to a flood of units coming at me from 2 sides...appears you should not randomly join games with people you dont know and expect them to play honestly...hehe
apparently the two troublemakers for me were chatting on msm, and had decided to share the space I occupied

Nuff said - the really strange thing was the distribution of players. of the two that shared the other continent, one of them quit after loosing 1! city, leaving the rest of the large continent for the aggressor [eek]

not as weird as these other stuff you guys poster here, but not really pleasant playing for me either ....

ah well - I suck at mp anyway [crazyeyes]