PDA

View Full Version : Kemal versus Skyfish ---OPEN THREAD-----

Skyfish
12-11-2003, 13:18
If this is my last PTW game, I wanna go with a BANG !
[:o)]

Deity (straight)
Large
Continents (only 2), max land
Normal/temperate/old
each of us sharing a continent with 3 AIs (6 AIs total)
Sedentary barbs

Kemal : Player 1/ admin : Vikings
Skyfish : Player 2 : Ottomans

Skyfish
12-11-2003, 13:25
anarres very kindly made our map and here is my start :

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Skyfish/20031112132314_Start-Kemal.jpg
12.51KB

Its a very good one and smells like a 4 or 5 turn settler factory !
Also that hut popped when I founded and I got a very good result from it :D
[jump]

Skyfish
12-11-2003, 13:37
[shout] Already some news in this game [shout]

We have played 2 turns and Kemal still has NOT founded his capital [eek] [eek]
What da hell is going on ?? [confused]

anarres
12-11-2003, 14:09
Hmm - he really should post so I can see if he is in the right spot...

Skyfish
12-11-2003, 14:54
How could he not be ? [eek]

Kemal
12-11-2003, 14:54
Hmm, better civ and a better start for skyfish...:(

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/uploaded/Kemal/20031112145352_start.jpg
14.95KB

Skyfish
12-11-2003, 15:02
Go back to work you whiner ! [mad]

Why in hell did you move 2 turns with that start [confused] ?
there must be 4 cows somehere or something...

I am sure the starts are balanced and I would have definitely welcomed a coast
start if I had Berzerks UUs : keep the mistakes going mate ! :D

Skyfish
12-11-2003, 15:13
hey what d'you get from that nice lil hut by the way ? :D

Lt. Killer M
12-11-2003, 15:13
Kemal, you have the Viks - sure you get a shore start... so why whine????? Lighthouse and off you go.....

anarres
12-11-2003, 15:26
The starts look correct. :D

BTW - I am suprised you moved Kemal!

Skyfish
12-11-2003, 15:43
Hey I need him to make blunders in order to have a fighting chance so let him
play his own moves ok ?
:D

We're all a bunch of asswipes until somebody can beat him yeah [groucho] so we better shut up I guess [sad]

anarres
12-11-2003, 18:28
Don't worry - I'll give both of you misleading advice! [nya]

Eldakkar
12-11-2003, 18:39
@Skyfish, Killer and Anarres.

Kemal is not whining. Nobody who plays the early game right should be happy with the starts as posted above.

Foremost is the location of the capital. Ask yourself, what determines corruption in your cities? That would be the distance to your capital. Kemal starts near the water. This means that he cannot build more than 3/4 cities close to his capital. You can already see that Skyfish, who did not start next to water can build cities on all sides of his capital. This means a lot in terms of early production!

Secondly, Skyfish has a lot more squares adjacent to a river than Kemal. For you who do not understand the importance of rivers. Every adjacent river square increases your raw commerce by 1. A size 7 city next to a river can be easily kept happy under republic with 1 lux tax. Rivers are very powerful. Period.

Skyfish has a bonus grass next to his starting loc. So yes he should found his city. Kemal has not. Maybe he found one nearby. It is logical to move the settler. I think it is incredible that you folks do not see the importance of using the bonus resource immediately. Don't you read the spoiler of real experts on civfanatics? Read some of Qitai, DavemcW, SirPleb or Bamspeedy's gotm spoilers and learn how much you can gain by playing your early game right.

On the comment of berserkers. You are playing a large map. By the time you get to berserkers you should have at least 20 cities. Surely one of your next 19 can be coastal?

The great lighthouse comment is ridiculous. They are playing deity remember? You cannot hope to get such a wonder on deity. And even if you did, you used 300 shields that could have been put to much better use, like improving your empire.

This is purely based on the pics of these starting locations. Maybe there are other advantages which we do know of yet. But from what we can see, Skyfish's start is much better.

Oh and to be sure. I say this on my own account. I do not like it if silly things are presented as good ideas.

Lt. Killer M
12-11-2003, 18:43
Eldakkar: asumption on your part: who tells you kemal does not have a long tongue of water stretching to his capital enabeling him to beuild several caostal cities with low corruption? There is nothing in the posted pics that tells you what the surroundings look like.

Rivers: it depends a LOT on the first ring. wait for more info!

Lighthouse is NOT ridiculous - but rather something that one can consider seriously - if you have a close neighbout, well, AIs do not go fro the Lighthouse usually, maybe some leader fishing is possible? We do not know yet what the map holds!

Lt. Killer M
12-11-2003, 18:46
oh, and remind me never to play against you - whenever I would have the slightest of the slight advantages I guess you would come whining..... I fully trust anarres (have you ever read one of his reports? if so you KNOW he knows about MMing and early game......[rolleyes]) to make the starts a lot more even than the posted pics show.

anarres
12-11-2003, 19:21
Eldakkar - I can promise the starts are quite well balanced. I spent over 3 hours on this map so I certainly hope they are! I'm not going to say here what is or isn't out of sight in Kemal's and Sky's maps, but I can assure you they are not grossly imbalanced.

One thing I would like to say about coast starts: You can't be surrounded by AI, and on Deity that can actually be an advantage. Also, with the way the FP rank bug works you actually suffer significantly less corruption overall in your empire if your palace has less cities close to it. ;)

If you wish to count shields and food for the initial start areas you can get the bix from this thread (http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1062) and check it out yourself. :)

People are quite aware here of balance issues, we have been making maps for each other for some time and you get better with each map. Things like going though every single resource to make sure each continent as one for example (to enable both to go for space race without having to invade and hold the other continent - otherwise the game is pre-determined).

Edit: A final note about civs - they were requested, so Kemal is being a bit cheeky complaining about being Viking. [mischief]

Eldakkar
12-11-2003, 19:56
quote:Originally posted by Lt. Killer M

oh, and remind me never to play against you - whenever I would have the slightest of the slight advantages I guess you would come whining..... I fully trust anarres (have you ever read one of his reports? if so you KNOW he knows about MMing and early game......[rolleyes]) to make the starts a lot more even than the posted pics show.

There is no whining. I was merely stating facts. The post says specifically that all I said was based on the two pics. Read it again if you will.

We do not know all other balancing issues. And yes I trust Anarres to have made the map balanced. The point is that 3 people, including you, accuse someone of whining while there are good reasons to say one starting location is better than the other. Skyfish plays the map, Anarres created it so they can comment, i'm fine with that. You do NOT know anything more than i do and still you are very quick to pass judgment onto people. I don't know how you see things, but in my book whining is not a very nice thing to say based on no evidence at all.

And i'm fine with the prospective never having to play you. An opponent who condemns another player so easily to being a whiner is not my favorite type of opponent.

@ anarres

I trust you balanced the map. I know you are a good player and know more of the ins and outs than most do. The reason I posted is that I do not like the way Kemal is brandished a whiner for no good reason at all.

ERIKK
12-11-2003, 20:28
I looked at the bix and it looks fine. Stop this discussion and start playing please! :D

Kemal
12-11-2003, 20:32
About some of the comments posted by Skyfish, Killer and anarres , I have to say I'm not very happy with people calling me a whiner based on the single sentence I posted along with my starting pic, in which the only things I say is that a) : Skyfish has a better civ (and I really don't think anyone can disagree with the fact that Ottomans are a better civ than the Vikings), and b) : Based on the two pictures showing our starting locations, Sky's start looks the better one, which I also feel cannot be denied.

When, based on this, people call me a whiner or accuse me of complaining about chosen civs (and they were indeed requested by me and Skyfish, which is not the same as them being of equal strength) I must admit I find this somewhat insulting.

That, in addition to the forementioned, people also start questioning my (IMO logical and at the very least defendable) opening moves, without having any knowledge of the situation whatsoever, and qualify these moves as blunders, is also something that I do not find very nice to say the least.

Pastorius
12-11-2003, 20:50
I say judge a man on the results of his actions, not of his actions alone.
It is too early to go all out on eachother. Let's give peace (in this thread) a chance [:p]

I agree with Kemal on a but I ll wait with b till more is revealed - as I believe anarres is a good, or at least decent map maker.

Also, I subscriped to this topic ;)

This is, in case you wondered - my 2 cents.

Edited to correct spelling and grammar [:p]

anarres
13-11-2003, 01:21
Hmm. Kemal, I don't think anyone was having a go at you or actually questioning your ability to play the game. Please don't get the wrong idea.

Skyfish
13-11-2003, 06:33
[mouth]

Dude !
All of my posts were *pure* pisstake of course !
Somewhere somehow the humour of all of this got lost and its very sad indeed [sad]

Kemal : if you are not happy with the start and the civ choice lets restart, now is the time !
I apologize to you for calling you a whiner : I never, for one second, ever thought this statement was true, it was a just an "under the belt" free insult :D

Lt. Killer M
13-11-2003, 09:55
jeez, kemal! I can understand that eldakkar takes my posts verbatime - but I really thought YOU would see I was just taking the piss out of you!

Come on man, it was a JOKE!!!!!!!!!!

Kemal
13-11-2003, 10:04
@anarres, killer, skyfish: I suppose the way this thread has evolved is purely the result of misunderstanding and misinterpretation of earlier posts and like Erikk and Paalikles said lets put this behind us and play the game we all like to play instead. :)

Skyfish, as far as I'm concerned there's no reason at all to restart, I'm content with the civs chosen and the starting locations, as well as the challenge I'll face in this game against you.
I'd also like to take away any impressions that might have been created concerning the map being unbalanced or unfair, I know anarres kindly spent lots of his free time to make sky and me this map and I'm 100% confident that, taking everything into account, the map balances out well. Based on the reasons eldakkar pointed out well earlier in this thread, the 2nd part of my statement that accompanied the picture of my starting location gave my opinion based on what could be seen of the map with the initial settler, and was not meant to be taken as an overall opinion on how I feel the map was created or balanced by anarres.

Lt. Killer M
13-11-2003, 10:11
quote:Originally posted by Kemal

@anarres, killer, skyfish: I suppose the way this thread has evolved is purely the result of misunderstanding and misinterpretation of earlier posts and like Erikk and Paalikles said lets put this behind us and play the game we all like to play instead. :)

Skyfish, as far as I'm concerned there's no reason at all to restart, I'm content with the civs chosen and the starting locations, as well as the challenge I'll face in this game against you.
I'd also like to take away any impressions that might have been created concerning the map being unbalanced or unfair, I know anarres kindly spent lots of his free time to make sky and me this map and I'm 100% confident that, taking everything into account, the map balances out well. Based on the reasons eldakkar pointed out well earlier in this thread, the 2nd part of my statement that accompanied the picture of my starting location gave my opinion based on what could be seen of the map with the initial settler, and was not meant to be taken as an overall opinion on how I feel the map was created or balanced by anarres.

that is the kemal we knew and loved! [thumbsup]

Skyfish
13-11-2003, 10:43
Indeed Killer it's the Kemal I know and love [love]

Thanks Kemal...and bad luck with the game :D

Pastorius
13-11-2003, 21:03
hehehehe
so - any cool partial screenshots to share/scare the others with then?
or do I have to go all the way over to each of your spoilers to have a looksie

Skyfish
13-11-2003, 21:32
Indeed you'll have to go to each of our Spoilers....when we have them up :D