PDA

View Full Version : C3C - language versions...

Grille
06-11-2003, 17:23
I dunno which version to purchase... I favour the US version, though.
The magic word 'patch release' says it all...

Mainly because it was earlier available in some shop over here (drool[:p][:p][:p]), I got the US Civ3 version and felt quite lucky to be able to use the latest patches MUCH earlier (German 1.29 patch had a delay of several months(!) IIRC).

My understanding is that it's possible to install Euro- or US-C3C on US Civ3, so there'd be no probs here. If the shops will really offer US C3C is of course another question (*makes a prayer!!*). I'm considering to order it from an on-line store if I don't find the US version in the shops until Saturday...

So what do you think? US or Euro version?

Plux
06-11-2003, 17:56
How can you tell what version your original civ is? I bought here (Holland) in a local store, but I don't see any specific mentioning of the version on the box or cd. There are some sort of product codes, which on the box say CIVIL3PCGB/F (UK PC version?), but on the cd it says CIVIL3PCUS/A [???]. Can anyone clarify? Of course from the patch perspective I'd go for the US-version as well.

Skyfish
06-11-2003, 18:41
I am pretty certain no shop will sell a US version of the game in Europe for a while.

Grille
06-11-2003, 19:29
@Plux: For Civ3, you got me there perhaps...
Question remains how to identify the version clearly then...
My understanding is that you could tell it from the box art (unless that did not change over time - not talking about special editions that were released later).
I *think* the UK Civ3 version has the same box art as other Euro-versions(?), while the US box looks differently...
This site is supposed to show the US version's box art:
http://www.civ3.de/www/content/index.php?cat=29
It says I could install Euro-English-C3C on US Civ3.German C3C box will have all language version in a bundle, but German installation will not work for US Civ3.

Not 100% sure if my assumptions are correct... UK posters could confirm/deny. Maybe the UK Civ3 CD (the content at least) is even the very same as on the US CD... (I assume 'US' patch 1.29 works for UK players since I did not spot a UK-only 1.29 patch?; version writings on the cd?).

Grille
07-11-2003, 10:17
[hmm]
atari.de says today is "release date" for Euro-C3C, some shops say 13.11 as publication/sell date...
[confused]
[crazyeye]

An online store doesn't state any fixed date ('dunno') for the Euro version yet (WTF?[mad]), but has the imported US version for sale from 11.11. on (deliverance within ~2 days, usual shipping agreement), cost is 39,90 Euros plus shipping fee. Oh well, I think I'd give it a go if I won't spot Euro C3C tomorrow in any shop/get stupid answers about the selling date.

Btw, some guy from the UK sells a US copy on e-bay (.com IIRC), $36 last time I checked, auction ends in 7 days or so.

digger760
07-11-2003, 12:21
i wonder if a US Conquest expansion is compatiable with a Euro vanilla version though

anarres
07-11-2003, 12:58
I just found out the UK release date has been pushed back to the 14th (next Friday). :(

Plux
07-11-2003, 13:08
quote:Originally posted by digger760

i wonder if a US Conquest expansion is compatiable with a Euro vanilla version though
I think so. According to Grille's explanation I have the euro vanilla civ (because of the box art, the cd says US), and I have a US-version of PTW, which---most of the time---plays fluently.

Skyfish
07-11-2003, 13:29
quote:i wonder if a US Conquest expansion is compatiable with a Euro vanilla version though

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think so

I believe that its exactly the opposite !
That is why we always had to wait for the patches all the time. If you have a UK version of Civ3 then u can only use a UK version of PTW... and of Conquest !
Or else everytime a US patch was be available then everybody would have ínstalled it without problem...

Grille
07-11-2003, 13:38
yeah, Plux, wait...
I'm not sure if a Euro vanilla version works with US C3C... and if my vanilla version check assumption was right.
Just to clarify: civ3.de confirmed that the US C3C version and German C3C bundle (which has actually Euro-English, German, Spanish...language versions in the box) are at least somehow combatible with US vanilla civ.
If you have that US vanilla version, you must install Euro-English (despite of having a German or Spanish whatever version as well), but it will work. The opposite case, as Sky mentioned, is not explicitely confirmed!

So yes, I think it all comes down on identifying the vanilla version since I cannot confirm that US C3C will work with any vanilla version other than US [shrug].
Now I do not even know if the the Euro-English vanilla version really EXISTS, I suspect it's just the US version, content-wise (dunno about copy protection, though). Just guessing from the vanilla patches.

Btw, I would actually rate a gravur on the cd higher than boxart, but in my case, *everything* looks like the US vanilla version anyways.

anarres
07-11-2003, 13:38
They changed this Sky - new patches will workon all versions (the copy protection is the same...)

Shabbaman
07-11-2003, 13:40
Errr... no... the problem with the ptw patches was with the different ptw copyprotection. According to your line of thought we would have had the same issues with vanilla civ.

EDIT: @sky, not A. the simultaneous poster [shabba]

Grille
07-11-2003, 13:47
Major fuck. I did not want to confuse, I thought you were a lot better informed about versions than me.:)

I just wanted to know which version you'd purchase (or pre-ordered)...

Grille
12-11-2003, 15:05
quote:Originally posted by anarres

They changed this Sky - new patches will workon all versions (the copy protection is the same...)

Hm, so you think there'll be just one patch file to be published that will work with every language version?

Now it looks like that C3C's corruption routine is somewhat skrewed. From what I've read it feels worse than in vanilla/PTW - who'd expect a commerce penalty from completing the FP (under certain circumstances) or getting a special penalty when founding two cities at same capital/FP(?) distance?
So I'd think there'll be a patch sooner or later, so...

anarres
12-11-2003, 15:22
Yeah. BTW - a BreakAway person just posted on CFC that the US conquests will install fine on top of the UK Civ3.

Grille
12-11-2003, 15:35
Ah, OK.

I have scrapped my plans to order US C3C on-line because I *fear* that I could have to wait for too long for deliverance...
[scared]
So when the shops only have a Euro version in the shelf (tomorrow - hopefully!!), I'll get me that one.

Skyfish
12-11-2003, 15:38
In this thread, a Dutchy is saying he bought Conquest in the US and plays it now [confused]
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68497

Grille
12-11-2003, 15:50
well, according to anarres post, US C3C should work on top of UK Civ3...

the other way round:
I understand that Euro C3C should work on US Civ3 (if you install the English language version of C3C, that is), so it actually doesn't matter what version to purchase...

ProPain
12-11-2003, 17:14
quote:Originally posted by anarres

I just found out the UK release date has been pushed back to the 14th (next Friday). :(

Just called Dynabyte. Expected in stores friday also.

Pastorius
12-11-2003, 18:45
cdon has c3c for sale for NOK 229 (+29 for shipping) with an expected date 14th, also most of the stores I found through http://www.kelkoo.no had the same date. Jeff Foley of Atari said the 14th, so I guess this weekend is quite right for a purchase.
I think I ll go for the 15th as more likely though, as I read that a lot of places in the US didnt have the game on the 4th.
Then again they might have shipped it already - and the stores might have them in stock....

Come to think of it - 229 NOK is acually quite expensive - at least compared to what prices are in the US. I guess it is normal for an XP when released in Norway to be about that price range. (BTW - PTW still sells for 249NOK at some stores...)
Vanilla civ3 is going for 249 NOK at some places (I bought mine when released for 500NOK, but that doesnt matter)

Grille
13-11-2003, 10:28
Posters from another board reported that they got it yesterday, living in various places in Germany! So it's out in the shops... I looked for it here in Kiel on early evening yesterday and did not find it (they say today, oh well)! One shop I phoned was actually part of the same trade chain as posters from Hamburg, Munich, Berlin, Münster, Rostock, Mannheim, Hannover... said they got it from (Kiel and Bremen seem to be the only C3C-free places...)
[mad][cry]

Strange: prices vary between ?24.99 (:)) and ?34.99 ([shabba])...

Hope I find me some time and get it today. If it's still not here, I'll possibly right-click/abandon this culturally underdeveloped place!

edit: "?" means Euro, freaking Euro bashers...[j/k]

Skyfish
13-11-2003, 11:19
Oh Grille you mean € euros :D
(Alt0128 on num pad)
;)

And those stupid Narwegians should also use them great € euros [mad]
;)

Shabbaman
13-11-2003, 12:14
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

In this thread, a Dutchy is saying he bought Conquest in the US and plays it now [confused]
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68497

If you'd read it correctly, you'd have noticed that he had a friend fly it in. Even then, he got it very early...

Skyfish
13-11-2003, 12:22
Well I jsut meant someone bought it for him and sent it over : knowing it was available on the 5th of November in the US and a fFedEx package takes one day to arrive in Holland, I dont find he got very early by any standards...

Shabbaman
13-11-2003, 12:58
jsut? You're starting as well? [lol] International fed ex is really expensive, in the amount of $25 or so.

Skyfish
13-11-2003, 13:19
"Hey no spelling police here OK " ! [mad]
guess who am imitating here
[lol]

Whats 25 bucks to get your hands on the best game in the world anyway :D

Grille
13-11-2003, 13:31
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

Oh Grille you mean ? euros :D
(Alt0128 on num pad)
;)

And those stupid Narwegians should also use them great ? euros [mad]
;)

[hmm]
Last time I used alt plus xxx (where xxx ranges from 000 to 255 ascii code) was on an ancient dos machine...hm. Euro symbol should be xxx=164, but that may differ on other machines.
Thing is, I can see the euro symbol in your post and can create it from my keyboard anyways (or just copy& paste it). If I do that, I can see the symbol in the reply box, but it vanishes as soon as I post (get a question mark instead). Strangely, the euro symbol works on CFC.
[confused]

I know that I could make special symbols by typing some weird stuff into CFC's reply box; I guess it's a vb code thingie there (maybe it's some code stuff here, too?)
If I spot a an unusal symbol in a CFC post, I could copypaste it into an editor and thereby get the 'code' or something. In most cases, it's a long, weird character string, but typing that one back into the reply box would recreate the same unusal symbol.

Now I quoted your message to see if the symbol shows up...

edit: I cannot see it when quoting...(?)

[hmm]
what browsers are officially supported? (using 'ancient' mozilla atm)

Grille
13-11-2003, 15:57
Just called a store. They have it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[dance][cool]

Shop will sell it for 34.99 Euros (slimy little fuckers!!), but they say they have plenty of copies in their shelves.
Gonna pick it up later. Yay!

Kemal
13-11-2003, 16:17
Surely this can't be true:

Dynabyte now expects release at the 1st of December according to their website... [aargh][cry]

Skyfish
13-11-2003, 18:40
I ahve had the same problem at my software store : they say there is now no release date anymore and cant say when it will be here :(
I got loads of ppl (fellow RBCivers) waiting for me at CFC to take my turn in 2 SGs [wallbash]

Shabbaman
14-11-2003, 08:15
Skyfish, get it online (http://www.nl.bol.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/nl/-/EUR/BOL_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=l91flp1njRRfnKLTGWthoX21DoLAJT_hOro=?BOL _OWNER_ID=1004004000006256&Section=GAMES&lgl=1&plid=&lgl_BOL_OWNER_ID=1) if you desperately want to.

Grille
14-11-2003, 11:00
If you live near the border and can't wait any longer: 'mediamarkt', 'saturn' and such shops have it (better call them beforehand).
Got the German version which includes -amongst others- English language version (you get a choice when installing it), NO probs with my US Civ3 (that is, I assume it's a US version).

Shabbaman
14-11-2003, 11:03
Hm, we have a mediamarkt here as well... Good point grille, no doubt the dutch will have the same supplier as the german shops!

ProPain
14-11-2003, 11:34
Swingue checked at Van Leest, they dont have it. Did anybody call Dynabyte perhaps? They tend to have new games quickly.

Skyfish
14-11-2003, 13:45
quote:Just called Dynabyte. Expected in stores friday also.

I thought you said you called Dynabyte and they said they had it PP no ?

Anyway we got 2 threads ongoing here :(

http://www.civ3duelzone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1073

Shabbaman
14-11-2003, 13:52
That's great, this way you can post everything twice and make your PC skyrocket! Actually, this thread asked if you wanted to buy the UK or US version (not much of an issue atm). Do you want me to moderate it? [evil]

Skyfish
14-11-2003, 14:07
Yes :D

btw thx for the bol.com tip, they give 4 days delivey time which is way too long for me...[sad]

Shabbaman
14-11-2003, 14:49
I share your pain.

Pastorius
14-11-2003, 19:49
I got it online. Well - placed an order today - will cost me NOK 229 + shipping NOK 29.

quote:
Originally posted by Skyfish:
Oh Grille you mean € euros
(Alt0128 on num pad)

And those stupid Narwegians should also use them great € euros

Ahem - Let me not get into a discussion on why the EMU (European Monetary Union [:p]) is not a good thing. Instead I will only say this:

That's stupid NORWEGIANS to you [aargh]

[nono] :D

Edit: the funny thing is though - I will get a swedish version -> the cover will be in Swedish, and the manual will be English/Swedish.
That's what happens when you place an order @ cdon.com I guess [crazyeyes] /end of edit